Solving Double Integral: ∫∫ sin(x+y) dxdy

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the double integral ∫∫ sin(x+y) dxdy in the given domain. The initial solution attempts to find the integral using two separate domains, but it is later determined that the boundaries are incorrect. Various transformations are suggested, but it is ultimately concluded that the integral cannot be solved in closed form. The conversation also briefly touches on finding the derivative of cos(p(x)).
queenstudy

Homework Statement

find ∫∫ sin(x+y) dxdy in the domain D where D=(x,y) where y≥√x and y≤2x and y≥(1/x) and y≤2/x

Homework Equations

i

The Attempt at a Solution

took y as variable so i have two domains D1 where x is between 0.5 and 1 and y between 1/x and √x
D2 where x is between 1 and 4 power 1/3 and y is between 2x and 2/x
i will reach to one variable in terms of x but it is very hard to find them cos(x+√x) cos(3x) cos(1/x +x) so?

Physics news on Phys.org
any one? please?

Hey queenstudy! :smile:

I agree something like cos(x+√x) or cos(x+1/x) is pretty hard to integrate.
They do not have anti-derivatives that can be expressed in standard functions, so either you should leave them as is, or you should approximate them numerically.

Is it possible that your problem statement only asked to write down the boundaries of your integral?

As it is, the boundaries you found are not the right boundaries...

they were in the exam so what the hell should i do??
about the boundaries i know they arent true

queenstudy said:
they were in the exam so what the hell should i do??
about the boundaries i know they arent true

Ask your teacher. Maybe you copied something wrong or he wrote something wrong. Perhaps the problem can be solved with some transformation of the coordinates, but I do not know how.
As for the boundaries, see attached picture.

ehild

Attachments

• plot2.jpg
    plot2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 382
ehild said:
Ask your teacher. Maybe you copied something wrong or he wrote something wrong. Perhaps the problem can be solved with some transformation of the coordinates, but I do not know how.
As for the boundaries, see attached picture.

ehild

he gave us the domain which is exactly the same , but how can i solve it is it like impossible or what?

I like Serena said:
Hey queenstudy! :smile:

I agree something like cos(x+√x) or cos(x+1/x) is pretty hard to integrate.
They do not have anti-derivatives that can be expressed in standard functions, so either you should leave them as is, or you should approximate them numerically.

Is it possible that your problem statement only asked to write down the boundaries of your integral?

As it is, the boundaries you found are not the right boundaries...

so there is no way the problem can be solved??

queenstudy said:
so there is no way the problem can be solved??

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say: no, it can't be solved.
There is no formula for it. It can only be approximated numerically or geometrically.

Oh, and of course it is possible to write down the integral with proper boundaries (if you can find them).

I like Serena said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say: no, it can't be solved.
There is no formula for it. It can only be approximated numerically or geometrically.

Oh, and of course it is possible to write down the integral with proper boundaries (if you can find them).

thank you very much , i guess i am a bit better , i hope you are right

Do you know how to handle a coordinate transform for a double integral?

I suggest trying:
u=x2-y2

v=2xy​

I haven't tried it, so I can't guarantee that it will help.

[itex]\sin(x+y)=\sin x\cos y+\cos x\sin y[/itex] Should help.

After working with this a bit (not done yet) I suggest transforming to Hyperbolic coordinates. (see Wikipedia)

[itex]\displaystyle u = -\frac{1}{2} \ln \left( \frac{y}{x} \right)[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle v = \sqrt{xy}[/itex]

The inverse transformation is:

[itex]\displaystyle x = v\, e^u ,\quad y = v\, e^{-u}[/itex]

The limits of integration work out nicely. I haven't looked at the integrand or integration in detail.

so you are saying it is possible to solve this double integral??
another question: is i have cos(p(x)) what is its derivative??

DrewD said:
[itex]\sin(x+y)=\sin x\cos y+\cos x\sin y[/itex] Should help.

it made it much harder ,

queenstudy said:
so you are saying it is possible to solve this double integral??
another question: is i have cos(p(x)) what is its derivative??
I'm not saying it's possible to solve. In fact, after trying these transformations plus a couple more, I suspect that it can't be done in closed form.

The transformations may make it possible to describe the region more simply, but all that I tried made the anti-derivative impossible to express in closed form.

Use the chain rule to get the derivative of cos(p(x)) .
It's the derivative of cosine --evaluated at p(x) -- times the derivative of p(x).​

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral where the function being integrated has two variables, typically represented as ∫∫ f(x,y) dxdy. It is used to calculate the volume under a surface in two-dimensional space.

2. How do you solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities to simplify the integrand. Finally, you can evaluate the integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

3. What is the purpose of solving a double integral?

The purpose of solving a double integral is to find the volume under a two-dimensional surface. This is useful in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can you use a calculator to solve a double integral?

Yes, there are many online calculators and computer programs that can solve double integrals. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind solving a double integral in order to use these tools effectively.

5. What are some applications of solving double integrals?

Double integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the mass and center of mass of an object, finding the average value of a function, and determining the area of a region in two-dimensional space. They are also used in physics to calculate moments of inertia and in economics to find the expected value of a function.