1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integrals: Area or Volume?

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1
    I'm reading in my Calculus book, and I see (I may see wrongly) that a double integral can describe both an Area and a Volume. Is that true? If that's true, how do I know when the Double Integral is describing an Area or a Volume? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2005 #2
    Well, it's sort of similar to how a single integral can be used to find both area and volume (and length, as well).

4. Apr 10, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The typical triple integral describing a volume of a certain domain [itex] \mathcal{D}\subseteq \mathbb{R}^{3} [/itex] is

[tex] V_{D}=\iiint_{\mathcal{D}} \ dV [/tex]

Daniel.

5. Apr 11, 2005 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It depends on your problem. An integral doesn't necessarily describe something geometric, but it can be used to calculate surface areas, for example:

[tex]\iint_D \sqrt{1+\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)^2+\left(\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}\right)^2}dA[/tex]
    or
    [tex]\iint_D 1 dA[/tex]

or volumes:

[tex]\iint_R f(x,y)dA[/tex]

It depends on the problem.

6. Apr 11, 2005 #5
    ok thanks.

7. Apr 12, 2005 #6
    [tex]\iint_D \sqrt{1+\left(\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}\right)^2+\left(\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}\right)^2}\partial A[/tex]

correct?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  8. Apr 12, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah,it was a typo by Galileo,but we usually write [itex] z=z\left(x,y\right) [/itex] when we indicate the equation of a surface in [itex] \mathbb{R}^{3} [/itex] explicitely .

Daniel.

9. Apr 12, 2005 #8
    Yeah you are correct, that was one of my problems when I was first learning surface integrals... whenever I would get stuck, I would jump to the conclusion that I could simply use that general equation to solve the problem--- but it only works in specific cases. (Or when you're scrambling on a final!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?