1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integrals + Change of variables

1. Oct 17, 2004 #1
    Ok, i have a problem with this double integral. I am having a hard time finding the limits. The question is

Evaluate
    [tex]
    \iint \frac{dx\,dy}{\sqrt{1+x+2y}}\
    [/tex]

D = [0,1] x [0,1], by setting T(u,v) = (u, v/2) and evaluating the integral over D*, where T(D*)=D

Can some one help me find the limits, and explain the process of getting those limits.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Are you REQUIRED to do that change of variables?
    You could integrate it directly..

4. Oct 17, 2004 #3
    Yes, because there are some problems which say evaluate the integral with change of variable but then check it by using an iterated integral. So the answer is yes, i have go use change of variable, and even though i dont need to use it was to get practice at it.

Thanks

5. Oct 17, 2004 #4
    anybody????

6. Oct 18, 2004 #5
    Somebody is always here but not your wishing somebody.
    Can you find the integration (to x variable) of 1/root(a+x) ?

7. Oct 18, 2004 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I THINK what you are saying is that you want to use the substitution u= x, v= 2y.
    Of course, du= dx and dv= 2dy or dy= (1/2)dv.

In terms of u and v, the integral becomes
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{du\,dv}{\sqrt{1+u+v}}[/tex]

The only problem now is finding D*. The boundaries of D are x= 0, x= 1, y= 0, y= 1.
    Okay, when x= 0 what is u? When x= 1, what is u? When y= 0, what is v? When y= 1, what is v? That gives you D* and the limits of integration.

8. Oct 18, 2004 #7
    Oh well, sorry for my bad English, I didn't read the whole OP and thought he didn't know how to solve it, but he should say the same as you did anyway, I know that for certain :biggrin:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  9. Oct 19, 2004 #8
    Thanks

I thought about the problem a little harder and i did the same exact thing you did, so thanks for your help.

10. Jun 27, 2008 #9
    What is the non-graphing method to find the new limits ? Someone plz,,,,,...........!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?