Double integrals for volume

In summary: Homework Statement find the volume of the solid that lies below the graph of z = 1/(x^2 + y^2) and that is bounded laterally by the cylinder set y =|x| and the planes y = 2 and y = 8Homework EquationsThe Attempt at a Solutionwell i kno that the z equals equation is what i will be integrating, so i was wondering the significance of the y = planes. If done on an xy plane then the y equals is the bounds and I am integrating the region b/w y = 2 and 8 in regards to the y =|x|.What i set up was the integral from 2 to 8 of
rhyno89

Homework Statement

find the volume of the solid that lies below the graph of z = 1/(x^2 + y^2) and that is bounded laterally by the cylinder set y =|x| and the planes y = 2 and y = 8

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well i kno that the z equals equation is what i will be integrating, so i was wondering the significance of the y = planes. If done on an xy plane then the y equals is the bounds and I am integrating the region b/w y = 2 and 8 in regards to the y =|x|

What i set up was the integral from 2 to 8 of the integral of -y to y of (1/x^2 + y^2)dydx

Am i on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Close, but be careful. When you're integrating with respect to y, you also have y in the bounds. You have an expression for how y varies, so use that instead.

rhyno89 said:

Homework Statement

find the volume of the solid that lies below the graph of z = 1/(x^2 + y^2) and that is bounded laterally by the cylinder set y =|x| and the planes y = 2 and y = 8

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well i kno that the z equals equation is what i will be integrating, so i was wondering the significance of the y = planes. If done on an xy plane then the y equals is the bounds and I am integrating the region b/w y = 2 and 8 in regards to the y =|x|

What i set up was the integral from 2 to 8 of the integral of -y to y of (1/x^2 + y^2)dydx

Am i on the right track?

The region over which you're integrating is a trapezoid, where the parallel sides are the lines y = 2 and y = 8. The nonparallel sides come from y = |x|. Because the graph of z = 1/(x^2 + y^2) is symmetric with respect to both the x- and y-axis, you can make your integral a little simpler by integrating over half the region and multiplying your result by 2.

In other words, one possibility for your integral is this:
[tex]
2\int_{y = 2}^8 \int_{x = 0}^y <your function> dx dy
[/tex]
You could set it up so that the order of integration is reversed, but that would make things more complicated.

1. What is a double integral for volume?

A double integral for volume is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region in order to find the volume enclosed by that region.

2. How is a double integral for volume different from a single integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in a two-dimensional plane, while a double integral is used to find the volume under a surface in a three-dimensional space. A double integral involves integrating over a two-dimensional region, while a single integral involves integrating over a one-dimensional interval.

3. What is the process for calculating a double integral for volume?

The process for calculating a double integral for volume involves first setting up the integral by defining the limits of integration, then evaluating the integral using appropriate techniques (such as substitution or integration by parts) to find the volume enclosed by the region.

4. What are some real-world applications of double integrals for volume?

Double integrals for volume have many real-world applications, including calculating the volume of a 3D object in architecture and engineering, calculating fluid flow rates in physics, and calculating probabilities in statistics.

5. Are there any limitations to using double integrals for volume?

Like any mathematical tool, there are limitations to using double integrals for volume. One limitation is that it can only be used for objects with well-defined boundaries and smooth surfaces. Additionally, it may be difficult to set up the integral for complex shapes or regions with changing boundaries.