1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integrals -

1. Jan 30, 2006 #1
    Double Integrals - Please Help!

Hi, I have a question and it asks me to evaluate the volume generated by the area bounded by y = x^3 and y = x^(1/3) and the function z = x^2.y

I'm just having a few problems with setting up the ranges of my variables x and y. I drew a sketch of the area in the x-y plane but I'm not sure what my ranges should be. My guess is: 0 <= x <= 1 and 0 <= y <= [x^(1/3) - x^3].

Help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2006 #2
    "Hi, I have a question and it asks me to evaluate the volume generated by the area bounded by y = x^3 and y = x^(1/3) and the function z = x^2.y"

To do dbl int's always choose one of the variables to put definite boundaries on (put them on the outer-most int), then put limits on the second int in terms of the first. You know that the graphs intersect at (0,0) and (1,1), so I'd suggest using 0 and 1 as the bounds of x, then choose y = x^3 and y = x^1/3 for the bounds on y. Then, integrate!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?