Double Integrals: Solve Volume Problem

• Thread starter Nima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation is about evaluating the volume generated by the area bounded by two curves and a function using double integrals. The problem involves setting up the ranges for the variables x and y, with the suggestion to choose 0 and 1 as the bounds for x and the two curves as the bounds for y.
Nima
Double Integrals - Please Help!

Hi, I have a question and it asks me to evaluate the volume generated by the area bounded by y = x^3 and y = x^(1/3) and the function z = x^2.y

I'm just having a few problems with setting up the ranges of my variables x and y. I drew a sketch of the area in the x-y plane but I'm not sure what my ranges should be. My guess is: 0 <= x <= 1 and 0 <= y <= [x^(1/3) - x^3].

Help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Hi, I have a question and it asks me to evaluate the volume generated by the area bounded by y = x^3 and y = x^(1/3) and the function z = x^2.y"

To do dbl int's always choose one of the variables to put definite boundaries on (put them on the outer-most int), then put limits on the second int in terms of the first. You know that the graphs intersect at (0,0) and (1,1), so I'd suggest using 0 and 1 as the bounds of x, then choose y = x^3 and y = x^1/3 for the bounds on y. Then, integrate!

Last edited:

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that calculates the volume under a surface in a two-dimensional plane. It is represented by two different integrals and is used to solve volume problems in calculus.

2. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in a one-dimensional plane, while a double integral is used to find the volume under a surface in a two-dimensional plane. Double integrals require two different integrals to be solved and often involve more complex calculations.

3. What are some real-world applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many practical applications, such as calculating the mass or center of mass of an object, finding the average value of a function over a certain region, and determining the work done by a variable force. They are also used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve various problems.

4. How do you set up a double integral to solve a volume problem?

To set up a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both the x and y variables. This can be done by graphing the region or using given information. Then, you need to write the integrand, which is the function being integrated, in terms of both x and y. Finally, you need to insert the limits of integration into the integral and solve for the volume.

5. Are there any techniques to make solving double integrals easier?

Yes, there are several techniques that can make solving double integrals easier, such as using symmetry or changing the order of integration. It is also helpful to visualize the region being integrated and break it down into simpler shapes, such as rectangles or triangles. Practice and familiarity with various mathematical formulas and techniques can also make solving double integrals easier.