1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integrals

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1
    This might be somewhat of a mundane question but I can't seem to figure it out. It has to do with the limits of integration for a double integral. The initial integral is as follows...

1 √(1=y^2)
    ∫ ∫ 1/(1+x^2+y^2) dx dy
    0 0

I hope the formatting on that doesn't get screwed up. Anyway, the point of the excercise is to convert this to polar and do the integral then. I can convert the equation easy enough, especially due to the x^2 and y^2 just turning into an r^2, however my question is what in the world is that one limit supposed to be? dx is first so it's like saying x = √(1=y^2)? I would imagine it is something that will convert to polar nicely since these are specially engineered excercises but I'm just not sure what to do with it with that = sign in there. There's also a second question with a similar limit y = √(2x=x^2). Sorry if this is a stupid question but I haven't encountered this notation before and it puzzles me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2
    the best way is to draw that region to convert on the x-y plane....

then look at it and determine the limits for dr and dtheta
  4. Nov 4, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

just think of how the polar coordinates are connected to the normal rectangular coordinates.

5. Nov 4, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

actually come to think if thats the equation of a circle r will remain constant and theta will vary by 2pi. ok i'm out of practise maybe i should be quiet.
  6. Nov 4, 2004 #5
    It is the part of the circle in the first quadrant only :)
    the region that is
  7. Nov 4, 2004 #6
    Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I don't understand what the limits mean. On the y axis it's going from 0 to 1, I can see that but what about the x axis? What is meant by integrating from 0 to √(1=y^2)? I can't even figure out how to visualize this in rectangular coordinates because that "=" sign in there is confusing mean. I just don't understand the notation.
  8. Nov 4, 2004 #7
    =.....I am sure that is supposed to be a - lol

EDIT: a minus, not a plus..
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  9. Nov 4, 2004 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

i thought that was supposed to be a minus sign if so it comes from the equation of a circle:

can be rearranged into the upper limit of the x axis quite easily
  10. Nov 4, 2004 #9
    -_-;; Sorry for posting such a stupid question, it's just that he made that same typo twice and I thought it was some kind of notation... Heheh... *quietly walks away
  11. Nov 4, 2004 #10
    oh, sorry about that...yea, I meant a minus sign :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?