1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integrate help

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using polar coordinates, evaluate the integral which gives the area which lies in the first quadrant below the line y=7,and between the circles x^2 + y^2 = 196 and x^2 - 14x + y^2 = 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i tried to double integrate from 0<theta<pi/2, 7-14cos(theta)<r<7 with rdrd(theta) but that was not the correct answe, can someone tell me with i did wrong with the r values
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you draw a picture of the region you are integrating? If I'm drawing it correctly it doesn't look like you can do it as a single integral. You'll need to break it into pieces and think about using different origins for the polar coordinates for different pieces. Looks kind of nasty.
  4. Mar 31, 2008 #3
    yes, i did, even ask my professor on how to doing it, but she only gave me the r=7+7cos(theta) but that doesn't make sense, i thought it's 14cos(theta), Dick, i completely loss, can anyone help me on this one
  5. Mar 31, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First of all there are three curves to worry about. The circle of radius 14, the circle of radius 7 and the line y=7. Which one corresponds to the polar equation r=7+7cos(theta)? What are the polar equations of the other two?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?