Double Integration in Polar Coordinates: Area Between Circles and Line y=7

• Thread starter iamwilson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the integral for the area in the first quadrant below the line y=7 and between the circles x^2 + y^2 = 196 and x^2 - 14x + y^2 = 0 using polar coordinates. The individual has attempted to use a double integral but it was not the correct answer. They have also consulted their professor for assistance but have not been successful. The conversation also mentions the need to consider different origins for the polar coordinates due to the complexity of the curves involved.
iamwilson

Homework Statement

Using polar coordinates, evaluate the integral which gives the area which lies in the first quadrant below the line y=7,and between the circles x^2 + y^2 = 196 and x^2 - 14x + y^2 = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to double integrate from 0<theta<pi/2, 7-14cos(theta)<r<7 with rdrd(theta) but that was not the correct answe, can someone tell me with i did wrong with the r values

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a picture of the region you are integrating? If I'm drawing it correctly it doesn't look like you can do it as a single integral. You'll need to break it into pieces and think about using different origins for the polar coordinates for different pieces. Looks kind of nasty.

yes, i did, even ask my professor on how to doing it, but she only gave me the r=7+7cos(theta) but that doesn't make sense, i thought it's 14cos(theta), Dick, i completely loss, can anyone help me on this one

First of all there are three curves to worry about. The circle of radius 14, the circle of radius 7 and the line y=7. Which one corresponds to the polar equation r=7+7cos(theta)? What are the polar equations of the other two?

1. What is double integration and when is it used?

Double integration is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve in two-dimensional space. It is used to solve problems involving the volume, surface area, and center of mass of irregular shapes.

2. How is double integration performed?

Double integration is performed by integrating the function twice, first with respect to one variable and then with respect to the other variable. This results in a double integral that represents the area under the curve in two-dimensional space.

3. What are the applications of double integration?

Double integration has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate the work done by a force, the moment of inertia of an object, and the expected value in probability distributions.

4. What are the common mistakes made while performing double integration?

Some common mistakes made while performing double integration include forgetting to include the limits of integration, using the wrong order of integration, and not simplifying the integrand before integrating.

5. Are there any techniques to make double integration easier?

Yes, there are techniques such as using symmetry, changing the order of integration, and using substitution to make double integration easier. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and practice regularly to improve proficiency.