1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integration problem

1. Nov 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

“Fun Homework Problem” assigned for extra credit...
    ∫ 0 to ∞ [(e^-x)-(e^-3x)]/x dx

2. Relevant equations (supplied hints)

I can get an abstract answer from wolfram but it’s not how the professor wants us to do it.
    He gave us a couple “hints”; try to introduce a second variable and reverse the boundries
    for example: ∫∫ f(y) f(x) dy dx? I’m assuming he means integrate with respect to y first.
    A second possible hint was to try to get to ∫ 1/x dx by getting -[(e^-x)-(e^-3x)] on top to cancel the other.

3. The attempt at a solution

The biggest problem I’m running into is the x on the bottom.
    Can I set new boundries by introducing 1 to y+1? I feel like the only way to do this problem is by getting +n in the denominator in order to prevent division by 0 when evaluating 0 to infinity.
    I’ve also tried multipling by x/x in order to get an x^2 and move it to the top but the following integration by parts seems to get me no where.

Is there a trig sub I’m not seeing?

Even my professor admits he’s having trouble with it, but “knows” it’s possible.

Thanks for any help...
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Scrutinize the integral [itex]\int_{a}^{b}e^{-yx}dy[/itex]

4. Nov 3, 2013 #3

Hi,

Yeah, that x on the bottom. How about this: I haven't worked this problem yet ok but that's not the point I wish to make. Rather, the essential quality in successful mathematics of trying things and cultivating a tolerance of not getting discouraged when they don't work but rather, motivating yourself into finding other things to try.

Ok, back to that x on the bottom. Well, that reminds me of another problem recently in here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=717360

Now, I'm not sure that's even relevant to solving this problem but again, that's not the point I'm trying to make. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted