1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integration

1. Sep 27, 2006 #1
    [tex]\int \frac{x^2 - y^2}{(x^2 + y^2)^2} dx[/tex]

Above is an integration involved in a double integration, I know the answers via TI-89, but I am trying to find out how to get them :frown: I have tried trig substitution, u sub, integration by parts, etc. etc. And I am out of ideas. Can anyone please help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Do you know partial fractions?
  4. Sep 27, 2006 #3
    First of all, label your original integral as, say, [itex]I[/itex]

[tex]I=\int \frac{x^2 - y^2}{(x^2 + y^2)^2} dx[/tex]

Then split the integral into two seperate integrals, one where [itex]x^2[/itex] is in the numerator, and other where [itex]y^2[/itex] is in the numerator.

With the first integral (the numerator [itex]x^2[/itex] one), integrate this by parts with the aim of maxing the denominator of your integral [itex](x^2 + y^2)[/itex].

After you have done this, look at the complete expression for [itex]I[/itex] (substituting into this the integration-by-parts you just carried out).The integrals which remain (the one involving [itex]y^2[/itex] in the numerator, and the integral which is left from integration by parts), combine them both back into one single integral, with the integrand expressed as a single fraction. Compare this integral with the the expression for [itex]I[/itex] on the first line (i.e. the expression above). You should then have an algebraic equation in [itex]I[/itex], which you can solve.
  5. Sep 27, 2006 #4
    Do a trig substitution with x = y Tan[theta], dx = y (Sec[theta])^2. This will reduce your function to something resembling a trig identity that can easily be integrated.
  6. Sep 27, 2006 #5
    Partial fractioning is probably the easiest way as StatusX suggested.
  7. Sep 27, 2006 #6
    Yea I tried that but you end up with

[tex]x^2 - y^2 = A(x^2 + Y^2) + B(x^2 + Y^2)[/tex]

And when you set x^2 = -y^2 you would end up with -2y^2 =0 which really isn't a helpful expression :(
  8. Sep 27, 2006 #7

Homework Helper

Why would you set x^2=-y^2? You need to write:

[tex]\frac{x^2-y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2} = \frac{Ax+B}{x^2+y^2}+\frac{Cx+D}{(x^2+y^2)^2}[/tex]

Then solve for A,B,C,D.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  9. Sep 27, 2006 #8
    There's a quicker way to manipulate the integrand into a form which ia easier to integrate if you say that

(x^2 + y^2) = (x+iy)(x-iy)

x^2 - y^2 = \frac{1}{2}\left[(x+iy)^2 + (x-iy)^2\right]

\frac{x^2 - y^2}{(x^2 + y^2)^2} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{(x+iy)^2 + (x-iy)^2}{(x+iy)^2(x-iy)^2}
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?