Can you help me with this double integral and its limits?

• Thread starter DIrtyPio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, your original problem looked like this:SSdxdy over DELTA. DELTA is characterised by these four equations: x*y=1; x*y=4; y=x; y=2x.You should break this up into a few integrals to get all of the different regions.
DIrtyPio
Hi, I am doing my homework, but the book does not have any solutions so I can not verify my results. i wouldn't be a problem if I were 100% sure that I'm doing it right, but since I had some problems calculateing the limits of integration I'll ask you folks to help me! SO here is my first problem: SSdxdy over DELTA. DELTA is characterised by these four equations: x*y=1; x*y=4; y=x; y=2x. I think that the integral should look like this S sqrt(2)/2 -> 2 ( S x -> 2x dy) dx . Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn a graph of the region over which you're integrating? You need to do this in order to find intersections of the two lines and two hyperbolas. By the way, finding the limits of integration can be the hardest part in some integration problems.

You didn't say what you're trying to find with your integral. Is it the area of the region Delta? That will determine what the integrand looks like.

You wrote this as your integral:
S sqrt(2)/2 -> 2 ( S x -> 2x dy) dx
This is pretty much gibberish. I get that you're using 'S' to indicate an integral, but most of the rest makes no sense to me. What is "S sqrt(2)/2" supposed to mean? Are you integrating the constant sqrt(2)/2? With respect to what variable? Where did this constant come from?

What does "->" represent? I don't see how "S sqrt(2)/2" could be equal to what you have on the other side.

DIrtyPio said:
Hi, I am doing my homework, but the book does not have any solutions so I can not verify my results. i wouldn't be a problem if I were 100% sure that I'm doing it right, but since I had some problems calculateing the limits of integration I'll ask you folks to help me! SO here is my first problem: SSdxdy over DELTA. DELTA is characterised by these four equations: x*y=1; x*y=4; y=x; y=2x. I think that the integral should look like this S sqrt(2)/2 -> 2 ( S x -> 2x dy) dx . Am I right?

I don't think it's quite right. y=x is not always the lower bound on y (sometimes 1/x is) and y=2x is not always the upper bound on y (sometimes y=4/x is). I think you might have to break this up into a few integrals to get all of the different regions.

Ok, I figured out how should I do this integral. I made a varialbe change x*y=u and x/y=v so I found my new integral and the limits like this are pretty simple. And in the previous method I shuld have used 3 integrals devideing the main integral to 3 smaller ones which are orthogonal with respect to x or y axis.

1. What is a double integral limit?

A double integral limit is a mathematical concept used to determine the range or boundaries of integration in a double integral. It is represented by a set of numbers or variables that define the region of interest for the integration.

2. How is a double integral limit different from a single integral limit?

A single integral limit is used to define the bounds of integration in a single integral, whereas a double integral limit defines the bounds of integration in a double integral, which involves integrating over a two-dimensional region.

3. What is the significance of double integral limits in mathematics?

Double integral limits are important in mathematics because they help us to calculate the area, volume, and other properties of two-dimensional regions. They also allow us to solve complex equations and systems of equations.

4. How are the limits of integration determined in a double integral?

The limits of integration in a double integral are determined by the boundaries of the region being integrated over. These boundaries can be defined by equations, inequalities, or geometric shapes such as circles or rectangles.

5. Can the limits of integration in a double integral be changed?

Yes, the limits of integration in a double integral can be changed as long as they still define the same region. This can be done through a change of variables or by breaking up the region into smaller, more manageable parts.