• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Double Intergral

First attatchment is an integral I have been given.

Using different values of k I have to find out what value the integral converges too.

What I want to know is does this mean integrating the volume of circle with radius 1.

Shown in formula in the second attachment, I have also arranged it using polar coordinates.

And if that is right, I have found but only using mathcad that if k = 1/infinity the value converges to pi.

Is that right, because how I suppose to integrate the function shown using fractions to k, surely this is too complex to do by hand.

Cheers Ash

Attachments

Answers and Replies

And how do import pictures from mathcad into the post without having to make them attachments.

Cheers

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A circle of radius 1 doesn't have a "volume"! What it means is that you are to integrate the given function over the interior of the circle.

And k can't "equal 1 over infinity" because infinity is not a number. Do you mean k= 0?

Yes, polar coordinates is the way to go here. You are aware, are you not, that [itex]sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1[/itex], so that x2+ y2= r2? That simplifies your integral a great deal!

Yes sorry I meant area, not volume,

and yes i know it simplifies, i was just asking whether I had interpreted the problem correctly.

and yes by 1/infinity I did mean zero.

I was meaning as k gets smaller it converges to pi.

So is the function that i posted the right interpretation of the problem?

Cheers Ash