1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Intergral

1. Feb 25, 2007 #1
    First attatchment is an integral I have been given.

Using different values of k I have to find out what value the integral converges too.

What I want to know is does this mean integrating the volume of circle with radius 1.

Shown in formula in the second attachment, I have also arranged it using polar coordinates.

And if that is right, I have found but only using mathcad that if k = 1/infinity the value converges to pi.

Is that right, because how I suppose to integrate the function shown using fractions to k, surely this is too complex to do by hand.

Cheers Ash

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2007 #2
    And how do import pictures from mathcad into the post without having to make them attachments.

4. Feb 26, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A circle of radius 1 doesn't have a "volume"! What it means is that you are to integrate the given function over the interior of the circle.

And k can't "equal 1 over infinity" because infinity is not a number. Do you mean k= 0?

Yes, polar coordinates is the way to go here. You are aware, are you not, that [itex]sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1[/itex], so that x2+ y2= r2? That simplifies your integral a great deal!
  5. Feb 26, 2007 #4
    Yes sorry I meant area, not volume,

and yes i know it simplifies, i was just asking whether I had interpreted the problem correctly.

and yes by 1/infinity I did mean zero.

I was meaning as k gets smaller it converges to pi.

So is the function that i posted the right interpretation of the problem?

Cheers Ash
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?