Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Line in LaTeX

1. Mar 16, 2013 #1
    What is double line in ##LaTex?## I tried ##"//"## twice, but the compiler does not accept it.

The old ##" /linebreak[2] "## command does not work neither?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2013 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi Bachelier! :smile:

Which double line do you mean in ##\LaTeX##?
    Is it:
    Code (Text):
    ||   //   \backslash\backslash   \lVert   or   \parallel
    These render as:
    $$\quad || \quad // \quad \backslash\backslash \quad \lVert \quad \text{ or }\quad \parallel$$

In latex you can use \\ for a linebreak, although on this site it only works in a \begin{something} environment.
    For instance:
    Code (Text):
    \begin{aligned} a = b+1 \\ c = b-1 \end{aligned}
    which renders as:
    $$\begin{aligned} a = b+1 \\ c = b-1 \end{aligned}$$

4. Mar 16, 2013 #3
  5. Mar 16, 2013 #4
    Forgot to add the word "break" in my title. sorry.

Yeah I meant: "Doubleline breaks and more line breaks" to control the structure of one's document.

Thank you

6. Mar 16, 2013 #5
    That is what I meant. I was using "\\" but my compiler did not take it.
    However the funny thing is that after rebooting my machine, now "\\" works for as many line breaks as I want.

Thanks for that doc. I tried "\\" but it just seems to give me a line break. It does not start a new paragraph like the website claims. \\* gives the same result.

7. Mar 16, 2013 #6
    On a different note my friends, to get line breaks (like 3 or 4) for styling the ##\LaTeX## document, is it a good modus operandi to use "\\" and "\\*"?

8. Mar 16, 2013 #7

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The website is wrong. (Given the .hu, maybe it lost something in translation from hungarian to english). The whole point of \\ is that it DOESN'T start a new paragraph (and therefore you don't get paragraph indentation, automatic extra space adjustment between paragraphs, etc).

Probably not. I'm surprised several \\ in succession works at all. Actually I just tried it and it did work, but gave an "underfull hbox" warning. I expected to get an error message like "There's no line here to end" or something similar.

If you want one big gap, do \\[24pt] or whatever size you need.

Or better, use \bigskip \medskip or \smallskip. Those vertical spaces are "stretchy" so they adjust a bit to fill up the page correctly/ They also disappear if they happen to be at the end of a page, which is probably what you wanted.

9. Mar 16, 2013 #8
    Thank you ##|\mathbb{Z}_{>0}|##

BTW, what is your favorite command for paragraph breaks (i.e. to begin new paragraphs in the document)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook