1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double loop circuit problem.

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A double loop circuit is shown in the figure below.

The Emf εx = 7.00 V and the Emf εw = 17.00 V. Both are shown on the diagram. Calculate the power dissipated in the 7 Ω resistor located on the extreme right in the circuit.

3. The attempt at a solution

I always get confused with the direction this goes. I start out with the joint rule.
    I1= I2 + I3 + I4 + I5 + I6

say I1 = the amps going through the seven ohm resister
    I2 = " " that going through bottom 2 ohm
    I3 = " " middle 4 ohm
    I4 = " " middle 5 ohm
    I5 = " " upper 4 ohm
    I6 = " " left 2 ohm

Then I do one loop, say the rightmost
    -7*I1 - 2*I2 - 4*I3 + 7V - 5*I4 - 17V = 0

then the right most loop
    5*I4 -7V + 4*I3 - 2*I6 - 4*I5 = 0

is this the right way or completely wrong? any help would GREATLY be appreciated.. soon hah

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2008 #2
    There are only 3 unknown currents in this circuit. The current through Ex and de 4 ohm and 5 ohm resistor above and below it is obviously the same. The same goes for the 4 and 2 ohms resistors on the left, and Ew and the 2 and 7 ohms resistors on the right

Kirchhoffs current law will give you one relationship between those currents. and using the voltage law on 2 loops will give you two more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?