1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Major on Transcript

1. Jul 6, 2012 #1
    Hello, I recently decided that I will not complete my major in math despite only being two classes shorts so that I can focus more on the PGRE and research during those semesters. If I plan on going on to grad school will this decision hurt me in any way? Down the road will being able to say that I majored in PHY and MTH be of any advantage or will most employers just look at your grad degree? Thanks - I'd normally just suck it up and take the two classes but I feel as if Real Analysis and Modern Algebra would be two very time consuming classes, however I'm not close-minded to the option.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2012 #2

Dembadon

Gold Member

It is likely to hurt you should you decide to apply to mathematics graduate programs.

4. Jul 6, 2012 #3
    Haha, I would imagine so - I will be applying to physics graduate school. Should I take that as it will not effect me in my scenario?

5. Jul 6, 2012 #4

Dembadon

Gold Member

Ah, I see. I wasn't sure whether you'd made the decision to only pursue physics graduate programs.

I'm not familiar with admissions requirements for physics graduate programs, but I'm not aware of a program that requires its applicants to have taken the mathematics courses mentioned in your post. Perhaps someone can provide a counter-example or two, if they exist.

6. Jul 6, 2012 #5
    Thanks for the replies. I know that those courses are not required for physics grad school. My question is that is it worth sucking it up and taking those two classes so that I can say on my transcript or during job applications that I was a double major in MTH and PHY. Not sure how important this is after you obtain a graduate degree.

7. Jul 6, 2012 #6
    What would you do with the time you would otherwise spend on completing both majors? You suggest some things in your OP but you don't really make clear what amount of influence you expect it to have (e.g. would you otherwise lack time for PGRE? Would you have something demonstrable from the research (i.e. letter of reference, possibly even a publication, ...), etc.)

Also, out of curiousity: one of the two math courses necessary for completing the major and that you still have to take is Real Analysis I? Isn't that kind of a "basic" course in a math major? You were able to take your other math courses without having Real Analysis I under your belt? (Modern Algebra sounds "basic" too, but I'm not too familiar with the term "Modern" in relation to Algebra, so perhaps I'm thinking of something else.)

8. Jul 6, 2012 #7

Dembadon

Gold Member

If you are only planning on going to physics grad school, then you need to do whatever is needed to do well in physics. :smile: I believe doing poorly on the PGRE and not getting research experience will hurt you more than having a double major will help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook