Which Is Better for an Aerospace Career: Double Major or Major with Minor?

In summary, the conversation is about an Aerospace Engineering student who is trying to make a decision on their academic path. They are considering either a double major in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering or an Aerospace major with a minor in Mathematics or Physics. The student's ultimate goal is to work in the aerospace industry, but they are aware that jobs may be hard to come by. The double major would add an extra semester, but the minors could be completed within the 4-year program. Suggestions are given to take classes that are interesting and related to the student's goals, rather than focusing solely on adding another line to their resume. Ultimately, the conversation encourages the student to choose the path that will provide them with the most flexibility and opportunities in their future career.
Freyster98
I am a 2nd year Aerospace Engineering student, and have to make a decision soon on what path I am going to take. My initial decision was to do a double major in Aerospace/Mechanical Eng. ( my school offers the double major ), but recently I have been thinking about doing a Aero Major with a minor in either Mathematics/Physics. Ultimately, I would like a job in the aerospace industry, but know that jobs are hard to come by and I don't go to a top 10-15 school, so it'd probably be even harder for me. This may lead me to end up getting a job doing Mechanical Engineering. Does anyone have any input as to which path I should take? The double major adds another semester ( which I'm fine with ), while the minors I'd be able to squeeze in with the 4-year program. Any help/guidance I can get with this would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pesonally, I would go for the double major. Having another BS is much better than a minor for sure. It will create a lot of flexibility to you, in case you can't find a job in the Aerospace Industry. As you stated yourself, the double major will require additional work, so it will look good on a resume

Don't let the structure of a minor or additional major hold you back. Take the classes you find interesting and related to what you want to do. After you receive a BS everything else is just trophy baggin. Take that adv. physics class you think is interesting or 'cool', or a couple of mechanical eng classes that seem applicable. Math classes always help out in the business world and maybe take a statistics or two if you don't already have them. Feel like you can take the 'best' classes in a field vs. achieving another line on your resume.

What is a double major?

A double major is when a student chooses to pursue two separate academic majors simultaneously. This means that the student will need to complete all of the requirements for both majors in order to graduate.

What is the difference between a double major and a major+minor?

A double major requires a student to complete all requirements for two separate majors, while a major+minor only requires completion of the required courses for a major and a minor. This means that a double major will typically require more credits and coursework than a major+minor.

What are the benefits of pursuing a double major or major+minor?

Having a double major or major+minor allows students to gain a deeper understanding and knowledge in multiple fields of study. This can make them more well-rounded and marketable to potential employers. It can also provide more diverse career options.

Is it possible to complete a double major or major+minor in four years?

It is possible to complete a double major or major+minor in four years, but it may require careful planning and a heavier course load. It is important for students to speak with their academic advisor to ensure all requirements can be met within the desired timeframe.

Can a double major or major+minor be pursued in any subject combination?

While many universities offer a wide range of majors and minors, there may be limitations on certain combinations. It is important for students to check with their chosen university to see if their desired combination is available. Some majors may also have specific prerequisites or restrictions for double majoring or completing a minor.