Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Major vs Dual Degree

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1
    I am getting a bit confused by the difference.

I plan on studying Math and Physics and I want to do both of them, so if I am unsure whether to go through a Math Ph.D program or Physics Ph.D program, which one should I pursue? A double major or dual degree?

This is the department of Physics in my undergrad, http://www.physics.ubc.ca/undergrad/educate/BEd_BSc_courses.php [Broken]

But is that the one I should be looking at?

Is "Combined Honors in Mathematics and Physics" the same as a Double Major or a Dual Degree??

I am really confused.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  4. Apr 18, 2010 #3
    What about "Combined Honors"? Why is that different from a Double Major?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  5. Apr 18, 2010 #4
    I can't say for certain, you should speak with your advisor. I imagine that instead of the two years of lower division, two years of upper division physics, and two years of upper division mathematics for a double major, the combined honors is just less physics and more math.

6. Apr 20, 2010 #5
    So then what is my best option? Even though I am undecided on a future Ph.D in Math or Physics, I am getting the feeling that I should go for theoretical physics since I get to do both.

7. Apr 20, 2010 #6
    If you're in a hurry to finish undergrad then talk to your advisor and come up with a schedule. Otherwise just take the math and physics classes that interest you and figure out a degree later.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook