Double negation in logic circuit

In summary, the first solution (a) is the correct and most efficient way to solve this logic circuit using only NAND gates.
Baroness
Probably a very simple answer here...

I'm creating a logic circuit using only NAND gates. I have 4 inputs, A B C and D, but I am just using a single 'path'/part of the equation for this question, that being A'B = F, F being the output.

Full equation...

AB'C + AB'D' + A'B + A'C = F
F has a NAND gate directly before it, negating any 'paths' leading into F
I'm just using this highlighted part of the equation as an example

Solutions...

I have two ideas, I just want to know if one is more appropriate or correct than the other.

a)
Firstly, split A and feed through NAND gate, giving A'
Run A' and B through NAND gate to combine into A"B'
PROBLEM: The input of that path to F needs to be A'B, so A"B' will need to be split and passed through a NAND gate to give the correct input into the final gate, so...
Split A"B' and pass through NAND gate, giving A"'B" (DeMorgans cancels to A'B - correct?)
By my thinking, that should work, but it has a lot of split>NAND gate situations in there.

b)
Split B and feed through NAND gate, giving B'
Run A and B' through NAND gate, giving A'B"
PROBLEM: This is where I get muddled...
Because there's a single negation on A and a double on B, my mind is saying that I can cancel off the one's on B, leaving only A negated, giving the A'B I need BUT...
Canceling that double negation over B would be considered 'breaking the bar' in DeMorgans, and require me to change the sign between A and B, giving a completely different equation (say A' + B, right?).

So I have a very strong feeling that a) is the option to go for. Is my thinking right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your thinking is correct. The first solution (a) is the most appropriate way to solve this problem. By splitting A and passing it through a NAND gate, you create A', which can then be combined with B using another NAND gate to create A'B. This is the correct input for the final gate. You cannot use De Morgan's Law to cancel out the double negation over B without changing the equation, so solution (b) would not work.

I would suggest that option a) is the correct approach in this scenario. While option b) may seem simpler, it involves breaking the bar in DeMorgan's law which can lead to incorrect results. Option a) follows the correct order of operations and ensures that the inputs are correctly negated before being combined into the final output. It may involve more steps, but it ensures accuracy and avoids any potential errors. Additionally, using the DeMorgan's law to cancel out the double negation in option b) may not always be applicable in other logic circuits, making option a) a more generalizable solution.

What is double negation in logic circuit?

Double negation is a logical operation that involves negating a negation. In other words, it is the process of canceling out a negation to return to the original statement.

What is the purpose of using double negation in logic circuit?

The purpose of using double negation in logic circuit is to simplify complex logical statements and make them easier to evaluate. It can also help to eliminate unnecessary negations and make the statement clearer.

How is double negation represented in logic circuit?

In logic circuit, double negation is represented by a NAND gate, which is a combination of two negation (NOT) gates. The output of a NAND gate is the inverse of the AND of its inputs, making it equivalent to a double negation.

What are the properties of double negation in logic circuit?

The properties of double negation in logic circuit include idempotence (a statement remains the same after being double negated), involution (a statement remains the same after being negated twice), and De Morgan's law (a statement can be rewritten using double negation).

What are some examples of using double negation in logic circuit?

An example of using double negation in logic circuit is simplifying the statement "It is not true that both A and B are false" to "A and B are not both false". Another example is applying De Morgan's law to the statement "It is not true that either A or B are true" to get "Neither A nor B are true".