Double Pendulum Verification Please

However, it is important to note that this assumption may not always hold true in real-life situations and may not accurately represent the behavior of a double pendulum with varying mass and length. In summary, the equations of motion for the double pendulum can be simplified by assuming equal mass and length for both pendulums, but this may not always be a realistic representation.
icecube87

Homework Statement

I have to get the equations of motion for the double pendulum and then represent it in State Space form.

Homework Equations

Now as you can see in the check.jpg attachment, i assumed earlier that both pendulum rods have the same length and both pendulums have the same mass. Therefore I effectivelly got rid of the mass (1,2) variables from the whole expression for both w1 and w2. I have a feeling though that this might be wrong as it should not be possible to calculate both w1dot and w2dot without mass (even if they are the same). (logically speaking now)

Can someone tell me if I'm doing the right thing? If not, i would be really grateful if you could tell me what's wrong. Thanks

Attachments

• check.JPG
    check.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
!The Attempt at a SolutionYes, it is correct to assume that both pendulums have the same mass and length. This simplifies the equations of motion for the double pendulum since you can use the same mass and length in each equation. This means that you will not need to include the mass variables in the equations for w1dot and w2dot.

1. What is a double pendulum?

A double pendulum is a physical system consisting of two pendulums connected by a joint. It is used to study the dynamics of complex systems, as it exhibits chaotic behavior and is highly sensitive to initial conditions.

2. How is a double pendulum verified?

Verification of a double pendulum involves comparing the theoretical predictions of its motion with experimental results. This can be done by measuring the angles and velocities of the pendulum at different points in time and comparing them to the predicted values from mathematical models.

3. Why is it important to verify a double pendulum?

Verification of a double pendulum is important because it allows us to validate the mathematical models used to describe its behavior. This helps us understand and predict the motion of other complex systems that exhibit similar chaotic behavior.

4. What factors can affect the verification of a double pendulum?

There are several factors that can affect the verification of a double pendulum, including the accuracy of the measurements, the precision of the equipment used, and the presence of external forces such as air resistance or friction.

5. What are some applications of double pendulum verification?

Double pendulum verification has applications in fields such as physics, mathematics, and engineering. It can be used to study chaotic systems, validate mathematical models, and design better control systems for complex structures such as robots or satellites.