1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double pendulum

1. Apr 11, 2005 #1
    If you have have double pendulum of two rods where the rods moves with the same frequency w at the equilibrium position and at the eq. position you hit the lower rod at a distance d from the point that connects the rods. The hit results in a motion where the upper rod moves with frequency w and the lower rod with frequency -w. If the rods lengths are l and their masses m what are the the distance d.

I have no problem to find the equations of motion for the ordinary double pendulum. With the hit i think it gets something like

Lagrange equations = F

Where F is different for theta1 and theta2.
    If you find these equations you can solve for which d the resulting motion is w for the upper rod and -w for the lower rod, right?
    But how do you write F?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2
    You need to right down the lagrangian:

L = T - U

Where T is the kinetic energy and U is the potential energy.

In this case, the lagrangian will be a function of four variables:

[tex]L(\theta_1 , \theta_2 , \theta_1 ', \theta_2' )[/tex]

Where primes denote differentiation with respect to time. So, after you have expressed the lagrangian in terms of those four variables, your equations of motion are the Euler-Lagrange equations (one for each position variable, so two total).

4. Apr 12, 2005 #3
    Thank you.
    But as i tried to say the problem for me is to find the generalized impulse F.
    Because Lagrange equations leads to
    F = Generalized impulse = change in generalized momentum
    If I find F the problem is solved.
    and how do i get the distance d into F?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook