How do I find the acceleration of a double plane system with friction?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration in the positive x direction for a problem involving friction. The equation used is a = (m1g sin(alpha) - m2g sin (beta))/(m1+m2) and it is mentioned that the problem may be incorrect due to not including the tension of the other block in the normal force calculation. It is also mentioned that the equation Tension - mg = -ma may be incorrect and should be checked with a professor.
seang
In this problem I'm asked to find the acceleration in the positive x direction.

How do you solve problems like this? I solved one earlier just like this except sans friction and I used (and it worked)

a = (m1g sin(alpha) - m2g sin (beta))/(m1+m2)

so for this one I tried a = ((m1g sin(alpha) - m1(mu)g cos(alpha)) - (m2g sin (beta) - m2(mu)g cos(beta))/(m1+m2)

I think the problem is that I didn't include the tension of the other block when finding a blocks normal force, but I'm not sure how to go about finding this.

Also, In our text, for a mass hanging straight down held by a string, it gives the equation Tension - mg = -ma

does this just mean that the force of tension minus the force of gravity equals the total acceleration of the mass?

Much thanks to anyone who contributes some advice or direction.

the diagram

Physics news on Phys.org
anybody? on either question?

No need to add tension in the normal reaction because it is tangential. Looks good.

Ind second why -ma ? If a is unknown you will get the correct sign automatically, only + acc. will be upward.

that's what i thought, but that's what's in the text

If there is no any other reference it looks odd.
Even then before considering it wrong show it to your prof.

1. What is "Double plane fiction"?

"Double plane fiction" refers to a sub-genre of science fiction that explores the concept of parallel universes or alternate realities. It often involves characters who exist in multiple versions of themselves across different universes.

2. How is "Double plane fiction" different from other types of science fiction?

While many works of science fiction explore the concept of multiple universes, "Double plane fiction" specifically focuses on the interplay between these universes and the characters who may exist in them. It often delves into ideas of fate, destiny, and the impact of choices made in different realities.

3. What are some common themes in "Double plane fiction"?

Some common themes in "Double plane fiction" include identity, self-discovery, and the consequences of one's actions. It also often explores ideas of love, loss, and the concept of a "multiverse" where every possible outcome exists simultaneously.

4. Can you provide an example of a well-known "Double plane fiction" work?

One well-known example of "Double plane fiction" is the novel "Dark Matter" by Blake Crouch. It follows a physicist who is abducted and wakes up in a parallel universe where his life is completely different. He must navigate this new reality and find a way back to his original universe.

5. Why is "Double plane fiction" an important genre in science fiction?

"Double plane fiction" pushes the boundaries of traditional science fiction by exploring the concept of multiple realities and the impact of choices made in those realities. It also allows for exploration of complex themes such as fate, free will, and the human experience. Additionally, it challenges readers to question their own perceptions of reality and the possibilities of the universe.