Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double posting?

1. Jul 30, 2012 #1
    Recently, many of my posts are being sent twice. Meaning, every time I click post, my post gets posted twice. Is anyone else having this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I've never seen it and don't even remember anyone ever having posted that problem (but I could be wrong).

Are you having double-click problems in any other applications? What browser are you using?

4. Jul 30, 2012 #3
    I'm using Chromium on Debian 6. Perhaps I am double clicking sometimes - does that actually cause the post to appear twice?

5. Jul 30, 2012 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It shouldn't. I'm hoping one of the forum gurus will jump in here.

6. Jul 30, 2012 #5
    The system does have a safeguard for double posting built in, but there could be an instance where the AJAX confirmation is slow and it ends up sending twice. Does it happen in a different browser?

7. Jul 30, 2012 #6
    Hmm, in that case, could it be my relatively slow internet connection?

8. Jul 30, 2012 #7

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you literally mean "every time" or just "enough times to be annoying"?

For example did you get 3 double posts in this thread and delete each of the duplicates?

9. Jul 30, 2012 #8
    Well, not every time; but it happens frequently, and I actually don't know how to delete posts in PF.

10. Jul 31, 2012 #9
    Actually, you can't, unfortunately.

Anyway, this is confusing. I sometimes accidentally double post, but that's because the Kindle's browser is complete rubbish.

11. Jul 31, 2012 #10

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Go into "edit post", and somehere at the bottom of the page there is a "delete post" button, plus a field where you can say why you deleted it.

AFAIK The post doesn't actually get deleted, it's just hidden from everybody except the admins.

12. Jul 31, 2012 #11

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Click the "Report" button on the post, and ask the Mentors to delete it.

I don't think regular users see that button. Probably just Science Advisors and Mentors?

13. Jul 31, 2012 #12

jedishrfu

I'm a regular user and I can see the delete button on the edit post screen.

14. Jul 31, 2012 #13

berkeman

Interesting. So maybe that button is there as long as the Edit timeout hasn't expired yet. Thanks.

15. Jul 31, 2012 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think it has to do with the difference between a thread and a post. If you posted a new thread, then you can't delete it. If you merely replied to a thread, then you can delete it if you want.

16. Aug 1, 2012 #15
    That is my experience here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook