Solving a Double Quadratic Equation: Finding n+m

In summary, the student was trying to solve an equation but was having difficulty. They eventually solved it using the method suggested by another student.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

4n^2+9m^2-240n-720m+18000=0

Find n+m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I try to express the equation in the form of a(n+m)^2-b(n+m)+c=0 but i couldn't find a way to do so .

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression can be written in the form of 4(n-a)^2+9(m-b)^2=0

ehild

What calculations have you done so far? If you show what attempts you've made so far then can see how it's going. :smile:

Axiom17 said:
What calculations have you done so far? If you show what attempts you've made so far then can see how it's going. :smile:

Thanks for replying here , i hv got it solved.

Just express it in the form Ehild suggested and the values of m and n will be b and a respectively.

OK great :smile:

can someone pls show me the full step working?

cycy said:

Do you know how to complete the square?

thanks for answering...
not really...
i'm just wondering how to get rid of the constant,18000,if we express it as 4(n-a)^2+9(m-b)^2=0

cycy said:
Sorry, but at this forum that is not how we give help.

cycy said:
thanks for answering...
not really...
i'm just wondering how to get rid of the constant,18000,if we express it as 4(n-a)^2+9(m-b)^2=0
Try expanding that expression first. Then you can compare it to the original equation.

cycy said:
thanks for answering...
not really...

I wasn't answering anything, I was asking you a question. If you know how to complete the square then this problem isn't too difficult at all.

I just wanted to know where to start helping you, but I don't think you really deserve any unless you clean up your attitude mate.

i have solved it...

What is a double quadratic equation?

A double quadratic equation is an equation that contains two quadratic terms, typically in the form of x². It is a type of polynomial equation that can be solved using algebraic methods.

How is a double quadratic equation different from a regular quadratic equation?

A regular quadratic equation contains only one quadratic term, while a double quadratic equation has two. This means that a double quadratic equation will have two solutions, while a regular quadratic equation will have one or none.

What is the general form of a double quadratic equation?

The general form of a double quadratic equation is ax² + bx + cx² + dx + e = 0, where a, b, c, d, and e are constants and x is the variable. The equation can also be written in the form of (ax² + bx) + (cx² + dx) + e = 0.

How do you solve a double quadratic equation?

To solve a double quadratic equation, you can use methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. It is important to remember to simplify the equation as much as possible before attempting to solve.

What are some real-world applications of double quadratic equations?

Double quadratic equations can be used to model various real-world situations, such as finding the maximum profit for a business, determining the trajectory of a projectile, or predicting the path of a ball rolling down a hill. They are also commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving motion and forces.