Unbelievable Double Rainbow Brings Tears of Joy

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rainbow
In summary, a double rainbow is caused by a secondary reflection of sunlight within a raindrop, resulting in an inverted color pattern. While not as common as single rainbows, they are not necessarily rare and can evoke different emotional responses in individuals. There are also different types of double rainbows, such as supernumerary and twinned rainbows, which are influenced by factors such as raindrop size and sun angle.
Dembadon
Gold Member
This is probably one of my favorite videos I've ever seen on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI

His passion for this double rainbow is incredible. I think he even starts crying around 1:45 into the video.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you watched the song version done by the Autotune the News guys? It's great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember seeing that on TOSH.0 (a comedy show where they make fun of web videos). They did what Tosh calls a "Web Redemption", which was pretty funny.

I should mention that if you're easily offended, steer well clear of TOSH.0! :rofl:

1. What causes a double rainbow to appear?

A double rainbow is caused by a phenomenon known as a secondary rainbow. It occurs when the light from the sun is reflected twice within a raindrop, creating a secondary rainbow that appears above the primary rainbow.

2. Why does a double rainbow have inverted colors?

The inverted colors of a double rainbow occur because the light is reflected twice within the raindrop, causing the light to be flipped and creating an inverted color pattern.

3. Is a double rainbow rare?

While double rainbows are not as common as single rainbows, they are not necessarily rare. The frequency of seeing a double rainbow depends on the specific weather conditions and angle at which the light is reflected.

4. Can a double rainbow bring tears of joy?

The emotional response to a double rainbow is subjective and can vary from person to person. Some may experience tears of joy or other strong emotions, while others may not have any emotional reaction at all.

5. Are there different types of double rainbows?

Yes, there are different types of double rainbows, including supernumerary rainbows and twinned rainbows. These occur when there are additional factors, such as the size of the raindrops or the angle of the sun, that affect the appearance of the double rainbow.