1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double root (Differentiation)

1. Nov 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]p(x)=vx^{n+1}+ux^{n}+1[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

1) Find u and v so that 1 is a double root for p.

2) Conclude the quotient of p(x) over (x+1)^2.

3) For n=4 find u and v and find the quotient of p(x) over (x-1)^2.

3. The attempt at a solution

Can someone just tell me how to start this please. I really have no idea on how to start this off. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2012 #2
    Edit: Sorry something else came to my mind.

1) If 1 is double root, then the graph of p(x) just touches the x-axis but does not cross it at x=1. This means that it must be a stationary point.

4. Nov 18, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's correct. At x= 1, p(1)= u+ v+ 1. In order that 1 be zero of p, we must have u+ v+ 1= 0. The derivative of p is p'(x)= (n+1)vx^n+ nux^{n-1}. In order that 1 be a double zero of p we must have p'(1)= (n+1)v+ nu= 0. That gives you two equations to solve for u and v.

5. Nov 18, 2012 #4
    After solving the system of equations that contained u+v+1=0 and (n+1)v+nu=0 I found that:

1)v=n and u=-n-1

2) The quotient of p when divided by (x-1)^2 will be [tex]nx^{n-1}+(n-1)x^{n-2}+(n-2)x^{n-3}+...+1[/tex]

3)When we take n to be 4 the quotient comes out to be 4x^3+3x^2+2x+1.

Is everything correct??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook