Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double series

1. Mar 8, 2006 #1

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does anybody know how to prove the following?

[tex]\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{m=0}^{\infty} f(n,m) = \sum\limits_{p=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{q=0}^{p} f(p,p-q)[/tex]

f(n,m) is any function of n and m.

Note the change of the limiting values on the sums.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2006 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd be very impressed if a suitable proof exists, considering that it's not true.

For example, if
    [tex]f(x,y)=2^{y-2x}[/tex]
    then the LHS is clearly not convergent, but the RHS is.

4. Mar 8, 2006 #3

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That looks false to me, but it may be a little typo. Do you perhaps mean:

[tex]\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{m=0}^{\infty} f(n,m) = \sum\limits_{p=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{q=0}^{p} f(q,p-q)[/tex]

This kind of rearrangement usually follows from absolute convergence pretty easily, are you sure there's no restrictions on f(n,m)?

5. Mar 8, 2006 #4

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's still false.
    Consider, for example [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] is [itex]2^{-x!-y!}[/itex] if [itex]y>x[/itex] and [itex]0[/itex] otherwise. Both sums are absolutely convergent, but the LHS is non-zero, and the RHS is zero.

If there is absolute convergence, then
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}f(m,n)=\sum_{p=0}^\infty\sum_{q=0}^p f(p+q,p-q)+\sum_{p=0}^\infty\sum_{q=0}^p f(p+q+1,p-q)[/tex]
    works. Although, I'd be inclined to write that
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}f(m,n)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\sum_{m>0,n>0,m+n=k}f(m,n)[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  6. Mar 8, 2006 #5

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The RHS is not zero. Take the p=1 term, it's f(0,1)+f(1,0), one of these is non-zero. (Maybe you missed where I changed f(p,p-q) to f(q,p-q))

You can think of the double sum as a sum over the integer lattice (n,m) where n and m are >=0. The LHS sums along infinite vertical lines (e.g. (0,0), (0,1), (0,2),...) then sums the results. My version sums along the lines with slope -1 (the lines m+n=p), then sums the results. James version looks to sum everything under the line y=x say (though I'd expect it was a typo).

Your version

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}f(m,n)=\sum_ {k=0}^{\infty}\sum_{m>0,n>0,m+n=k}f(m,n)[/tex]

is the same as mine except you seem to be missing all points where one of n or m is zero. If you meant for n and m to be >= to zero instead of just >0, then it's the same as mine (take k=p, m=q)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  7. Mar 8, 2006 #6

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, those should have been greater than or equal to.

Yeah, I misread that as (q,q-p) which is no good.

8. Mar 9, 2006 #7

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Damn! Sorry about that. It was a typo, and should read:

[tex]\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{m=0}^{\infty} f(n,m) = \sum\limits_{p=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{q=0}^{p} f(q,p-q)[/tex]

That is, it is f(q,p-q) rather than f(p,p-q).

So, given that, does anybody have a proof?

Here's one specific context, for example.

We know that exp(x+y) = exp(x)exp(y).

Writing exp(x+y) and exp(x) as Maclaurin series, I would like to prove that the left hand side equals the right hand side. If you try that, it leads to a double sum of the type given.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  9. Mar 9, 2006 #8

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You will be able to find proofs of this sort of thing under various assumptions in most intro analysis texts, see Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis for example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?