Analyzing the Double Series: Finding its Sum Analytically

• Thread starter Emanuel84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Sum
In summary, the character of the given double series is convergent. To find its sum in analytical form, we can use the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series and sum over both the m and n terms. The final sum is 1.
Emanuel84

Homework Statement

Determine the character of the following double series, eventually find its sum in analytical form:

[tex]\sum_{m,n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{m^n-1}[/tex]2. The attempt at a solution

At first look, this series can only be either convergent or divergent (i.e. regular), since it's a positive term series.
I rewrote it in a more convenient form in order to visualize it better:

[tex]\sum_{m=2}^\infty \left( \sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{m^n-1} \right)[/tex]

At this point, I thought to use the comparison test for the series within the parenthesis, being the test series the geometric series:

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{m^n}[/tex]

which is convergent, since

[tex]\frac{1}{m}<1[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{m^n-1}[/tex] converges.

Iterating this procedure, I found that the whole double series converges.

The problem, now, is to find its value analytically...any hints? :smile:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there!

I would like to clarify that the character of a series refers to its properties and behavior, not its value. In this case, the series has been determined to be convergent.

To find its sum in analytical form, we can use the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series:

S = \frac{a}{1-r}

where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

In this case, the first term is 1/m^2 and the common ratio is 1/m. Plugging these values into the formula, we get:

S = \frac{\frac{1}{m^2}}{1-\frac{1}{m}} = \frac{1}{m^2-m}

Since this is a double series, we need to sum over both the m and n terms. This can be done by using the formula for the sum of a geometric series again, but with the first term being 1/2 and the common ratio being 1/2:

\sum_{m=2}^\infty \frac{1}{m^2-m} = \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{1-\frac{1}{2}} = 1

Therefore, the sum of the original double series is 1. I hope this helps! Keep up the good work in your studies.

1. What is the definition of a double series?

A double series is a mathematical series that involves two indices, typically denoted by m and n, with each term containing both indices. It is written in the form of Σm=1 ∞ Σn=1 ∞ amn, where amn represents the terms of the series.

2. How is the sum of a double series found analytically?

The sum of a double series can be found analytically by using a method called double summation. This involves first summing the terms with respect to one index, and then summing the resulting sequence with respect to the other index. The resulting sum is the sum of the double series.

3. What are some common techniques used to analyze double series?

Some common techniques used to analyze double series include the comparison test, the ratio test, and the integral test. These methods help determine whether a double series converges or diverges, and if it converges, what its sum is.

4. Can a double series have more than two indices?

Yes, a double series can have more than two indices. In fact, a double series can have any number of indices, but it becomes increasingly difficult to analyze as the number of indices increases.

5. Are there any real-world applications of analyzing double series?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of analyzing double series. For example, double series are used in physics to calculate the forces of multiple interacting objects, in economics to model the effects of multiple variables on a system, and in computer science to analyze algorithms with multiple nested loops.