Calculate Double Series: \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \sum_{j=i}^{\infty} p^(j+i)

• Thread starter AnthonyS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the double series presented is convergent only for values of p between 0 and 1, and can be expressed as p^2 divided by the product of (1-p)^2 and (1+p). The general form of the series can also be calculated using the geometric series formula.
AnthonyS
Hello, all--
I have the following series that I'm supposed to calculate:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \sum_{j=i}^{\infty} p^(j+i)[/tex]

Could someone show me how it should be done?

Note: It's supposed to be p^(j+i) or p raised to j+i; however, I can't get the formatting to work.

Anthony

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AnthonyS said:
Hello, all--
I have the following series that I'm supposed to calculate:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \sum_{j=i}^{\infty} p^(j+i)[/tex]
Could someone show me how it should be done?
Note: It's supposed to be p^(j+i) or p raised to j+i; however, I can't get the formatting to work.
Anthony

Here's the formatting:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \sum_{j=i}^{\infty} p^{(j+i)}[/tex]

Suppose p was between 0 and 1, say 1/2 and we start with i=1. The first member of the set would then be:

[tex]\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{1+j}[/tex]

second one, well you know what it it. Third one . . . They converge don't they? Suppose they all converge to numbers less than 1. I don't know but suppose they did and you were able to express the general form of those numbers say:

[tex]s_1=1/2[/tex]

[tex]s_2=1/4[/tex]

[tex]s_3=1/8[/tex]

[tex]s_n=\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^n[/tex]

Then we could sum them right? Not saying that's what they would be but this is just one way I can think of.

The double seires you have presented is convergent only for [itex] \left| p\right| <1[/itex] (p may be real or complex), for these values of p we have:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \sum_{j=i}^{\infty} p^{j+i} = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \left( p^{i} \sum_{j=i}^{\infty} p^{j}\right) = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \left( p^{2i} \sum_{j=i}^{\infty} p^{j-i}\right) [/tex]
[tex]=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \left( p^{2i} \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} p^{j}\right) = \left( \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} p^{2i}\right) \left( \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} p^{j}\right) [/tex]
[tex]= \left(p^{2} \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \left( p^{2}\right)^{i}\right) \left( \frac{1}{1-p}\right) = \left(\frac{p^{2}}{1-p^{2}} \right) \left( \frac{1}{1-p}\right) = \frac{p^{2}}{(1-p)^{2}(1+p)}[/tex]

benorin said:
The double seires you have presented is convergent only for [itex] \left| p\right| <1[/itex] (p may be real or complex), for these values of p we have:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \sum_{j=i}^{\infty} p^{j+i} = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \left( p^{i} \sum_{j=i}^{\infty} p^{j}\right) = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \left( p^{2i} \sum_{j=i}^{\infty} p^{j-i}\right) [/tex]
[tex]=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \left( p^{2i} \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} p^{j}\right) = \left( \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} p^{2i}\right) \left( \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} p^{j}\right) [/tex]
[tex]= \left(p^{2} \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \left( p^{2}\right)^{i}\right) \left( \frac{1}{1-p}\right) = \left(\frac{p^{2}}{1-p^{2}} \right) \left( \frac{1}{1-p}\right) = \frac{p^{2}}{(1-p)^{2}(1+p)}[/tex]

Thanks Benorin. That's very nice.:smile:

1. What is the formula for calculating a double series?

The formula for calculating a double series is \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \sum_{j=i}^{\infty} p^(j+i), where p is a constant and i and j are the indices of the two summation symbols.

2. How do you determine the convergence of a double series?

The convergence of a double series can be determined by applying the Cauchy condensation test or the ratio test. If the limit of the ratio between consecutive terms is less than 1, the series is convergent. Otherwise, it is divergent.

3. Can a double series have a negative value?

Yes, a double series can have a negative value if the terms being summed are negative. This can happen when the constant p is a negative number or when the indices i and j are negative.

4. What is the significance of the starting index i in a double series?

The starting index i in a double series determines the order of summation. Changing the value of i can result in a different value for the series. In some cases, the starting index can also affect the convergence of the series.

5. Can a double series have more than two summation symbols?

Yes, a double series can have more than two summation symbols. This is known as a triple series or a higher order series. The formula for calculating a triple series is \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \sum_{j=i}^{\infty} \sum_{k=j}^{\infty} p^(i+j+k), where p is a constant and i, j, and k are the indices of the summation symbols.