1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double slit and Diffraction

1. Jan 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2015-1-5_22-16-56.png

2. Relevant equations
    upload_2015-1-5_22-38-51.png
    slit width = a , slit seperation = b = d (at photo),
    tanQ=h/L m.λ=b.sinQ
    λ.b=sinQ
    B=π.d.sinQ/λ
    α=π.a.sinQ/λ
    Iq=Imx(cosB)^2 x (sinα/α)^2//
    3. The attempt at a solution
    My first move was to find intensity but I have no idea about the probability of finding one photon on the detector since It is not a point and It has own length.Should I think the detector as a point ? Location can be relevant with fringes but I'm not sure.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Finding the intensity is a good first move. Next, think about how the intensity function I(θ) is related to the probability of a photon ending up in some angular interval between θ1 and θ2 after passing through the slits.

4. Jan 5, 2015 #3
    Can I say |I(θ)|^2~P ? and thanks.

5. Jan 5, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You wouldn't square the intensity. (The intensity, I(θ), already contains the square of the electric field.) When thinking of the probability of where a photon will go, you need to include some interval of angles. For example, if you consider an infinitesimal interval from θ to θ + dθ, then a photon will end up in that interval with a probability that's proportional to I(θ)dθ. For a finite interval from θ1 to θ2, how do you think you would calculate the probability that a photon ends up between θ1 to θ2?

6. Jan 6, 2015 #5
    so interval can be taken from h to h+d ? im not sure but at Imax 's probability is 1/2 im trying to find on detector.

7. Jan 6, 2015 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you'll need to find the angles θ1 and θ2 that correspond to the distances h and h+d.
    Sorry, I don't understand this comment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted