Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double slit experiment IN TIME

1. Mar 3, 2005 #1
    Double slit experiment IN TIME !!!

The famous double slit experiment performed in another way ... The slits are not in space but in time : two positive peaks and one negative peak of an electric field contained in a very short laser pulse...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2005 #2

Hans de Vries

Science Advisor

I was looking at this. There are several related talks on video in the link
    below about the equipment used, very interesting!

especially the talk of Paulus here:

(Uses the Realplayer plug-in which you can download for free)

Regards, Hans
  4. Mar 4, 2005 #3
    There was a discussion on this a few months back in the thread 'Interference in time' in the 'theory development' forum.I am including here something that I wrote in one of my posts there:-

Diffraction in time domain is possible in the following sense---you have a screen blocking a matter wave which is suddenly removed(constituting an edge in time).Then there is a finite probability of finding the particle at a point distance d away in a time different from d/v,where v is the speed of the particle.In fact such a calculation has been done(see Phys. Rev. A,? & Zeilinger,3804-3824,1997)--the basic reason is fast spreading of matter wave-packets due to the presence of high momentum (Fourier)components (constituting the (sharp) wavepacket)--so the probability density reaches out faster than the speed of the particle.Such an effect is absent in the case of classical wave-equation(light) as there is no dispersion in free space.

5. Mar 31, 2005 #4
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?