Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Slit Experiment Movie

1. May 24, 2007 #1
    Last edited: May 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OH GOD!!!!!! No, why, WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not this again!!!

If your wondering why I'm acting like this, this clip is from the movie......"What the bleep do we know?" What this movie does to Quantum Mechanics is.............................................disgusting to say the least.

I don't like supporting this movie, even in parts on youtube. Please find another source for information about quantum mechanics please!!!!

(BTW, I'm not mad at you gadget. I just can't stand this movie!)

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  4. May 30, 2007 #3
    Ironically, its that same movie that made me become so interested in physics. I saw that movie about 1 year ago and ever sinse then I have been studieng that sort of thing nonstop. Ironically I see now that the movie, well, might have over exaderated QM a little bit. No that its any less interesting now. But cmon, "the electron changes the way it acts... almost like it KNOWS its being watched", I dont care how layman you are, you dont need to sugar coat "the act of measurment collapses the wavefunction" THAT much.

5. May 30, 2007 #4
    If by "disgusting" you mean "makes it accessible" then yes, its disgusting.

But, yes, the anthropomorphism of electrons is a bit hard to listen to.

6. May 31, 2007 #5
    It doesnt make it accessible, it just twists it and exaterates it untill it makes it sound like you can win the lotery by just thinking about it when you wake up. That makes perfect sense, if you can collapse a wavefunction by measuring it, that also means you can completely manipule and affect the reality around you to do anything you want!
    Anybody can access QM, there are plenty of layman books out there (I would know, considering I have never read a mathematical book about QM, thats waaaay beyond my level of education at this point in my life) that anyone can read and understand. All this movie did was manipulate QM to get as many ratings as possible, and in doing so completely changed what QM is all about.

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  7. May 31, 2007 #6
    Exactly the point I was making. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?