The Double Slit Experiment: A Fascinating Introduction to Quantum Physics

In summary, the conversation is about the movie "What the bleep do we know?" and its portrayal of quantum mechanics. The person speaking finds the movie to be exaggerated and misleading, with its anthropomorphism of electrons and the idea that one can manipulate reality through thoughts. They urge others to find more accurate sources for information about QM and mention that there are accessible layman books available. They also mention that the movie initially sparked their interest in physics, but now they see it in a different light.
Gadget_Wizard
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4237751840526284618 [Broken]

Something interesting i found, pretty much introduces Quantum Physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
OH GOD! No, why, WHY! Not this again!

If your wondering why I'm acting like this, this clip is from the movie..."What the bleep do we know?" What this movie does to Quantum Mechanics is..........disgusting to say the least.I don't like supporting this movie, even in parts on youtube. Please find another source for information about quantum mechanics please!(BTW, I'm not mad at you gadget. I just can't stand this movie!)

Last edited:
G01 said:
OH GOD! No, why, WHY! Not this again!

If your wondering why I'm acting like this, this clip is from the movie..."What the bleep do we know?" What this movie does to Quantum Mechanics is..........disgusting to say the least.

I don't like supporting this movie, even in parts on youtube. Please find another source for information about quantum mechanics please!

(BTW, I'm not mad at you gadget. I just can't stand this movie!)
Ironically, its that same movie that made me become so interested in physics. I saw that movie about 1 year ago and ever sinse then I have been studieng that sort of thing nonstop. Ironically I see now that the movie, well, might have over exaderated QM a little bit. No that its any less interesting now. But cmon, "the electron changes the way it acts... almost like it KNOWS its being watched", I don't care how layman you are, you don't need to sugar coat "the act of measurment collapses the wavefunction" THAT much.

G01 said:
What this movie does to Quantum Mechanics is ... disgusting to say the least.

If by "disgusting" you mean "makes it accessible" then yes, its disgusting.

But, yes, the anthropomorphism of electrons is a bit hard to listen to.

Bob-O-Rama said:
If by "disgusting" you mean "makes it accessible" then yes, its disgusting.

But, yes, the anthropomorphism of electrons is a bit hard to listen to.
It doesn't make it accessible, it just twists it and exaterates it until it makes it sound like you can win the lotery by just thinking about it when you wake up. That makes perfect sense, if you can collapse a wavefunction by measuring it, that also means you can completely manipule and affect the reality around you to do anything you want!
Anybody can access QM, there are plenty of layman books out there (I would know, considering I have never read a mathematical book about QM, that's waaaay beyond my level of education at this point in my life) that anyone can read and understand. All this movie did was manipulate QM to get as many ratings as possible, and in doing so completely changed what QM is all about.

Last edited:
SpazAttack said:
Ironically, its that same movie that made me become so interested in physics.

Exactly the point I was making. :smile:

1. What is the Double Slit Experiment Movie?

The Double Slit Experiment Movie is a short film that demonstrates the famous double slit experiment in quantum physics, where particles behave as both waves and particles at the same time.

2. Who created the Double Slit Experiment Movie?

The Double Slit Experiment Movie was created by physicist and filmmaker, Antony Garrett Lisi. He was inspired by the original double slit experiment conducted by physicist Thomas Young in the early 1800s.

3. What is the significance of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is significant because it shows the strange behavior of particles at the quantum level. It suggests that particles can exist in multiple states at the same time and only collapse into a definite state when observed.

4. How does the Double Slit Experiment Movie explain the concept of wave-particle duality?

The movie uses animation and narration to show how particles can behave as both waves and particles simultaneously. It also explains how the act of observation affects the behavior of particles, demonstrating the concept of wave-particle duality.

5. Is the Double Slit Experiment Movie accurate?

Yes, the Double Slit Experiment Movie accurately portrays the double slit experiment and the concept of wave-particle duality. The animation and narration are based on scientific principles and theories and have been approved by physicists and experts in the field.