Double Slit Experiment Project

In summary, the Double Slit Experiment Project is a classic experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles. It involves shining a beam of particles, such as electrons, through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. This experiment has played a crucial role in shaping our understanding of the wave-particle duality of matter and has been replicated and studied extensively by scientists. It continues to be a subject of ongoing research and has implications for the fundamental principles of the universe.
DLHill
For my AP Physics course, I am trying to replicate the double slit experiment. My idea is to have a cathode ray tube from an old television set and take the electron gun out. The electron gun will be firing at a plastic or foil sheet with 2 narrow slits side-by-side. Behind the screen, I will have a scintillator to show where the electrons hit.
Will this setup work? What could I change to make it better?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to get diffraction, you need the separation of the slits to be comparable to the wavelength in question. What is the deBroglie wavelength of the electrons from the gun?

Do you have a vacuum container and pump and all that? You can't just fire electrons through the air as they will impact the air molecules nearly instantly.

Drakkith said:
Do you have a vacuum container and pump and all that? You can't just fire electrons through the air as they will impact the air molecules nearly instantly.

The entire thing will be in an aquarium which will be turned into a vacuum chamber

Simon Bridge said:
In order to get diffraction, you need the separation of the slits to be comparable to the wavelength in question. What is the deBroglie wavelength of the electrons from the gun?

I'm not entirely sure about that. I am going to try and use a tungsten filament possibly instead of the cathode ray tube. How would i find the wavelength of the electrons if I used a filament?

I'm not entirely sure about that.
About what? That you need very narrow slits for diffraction or what the deBroglie wavelength of an electron is?

See how other people do it:
http://www.chem.qmul.ac.uk/surfaces/scc/scat6_2.htm
... notice the grating is a crystal? This gives angstrom-spaced slits.

[itex]\lambda_{dB}=h/p[/itex]
... you want low speed electrons, but you also need to accelerate them to your slits in something like a beam. Remember that the angle of diffraction maxima is predicted to be [itex]d\sin\theta = n\lambda_{dB}[/itex] you want [itex]\Delta\theta[/itex] to be big so you can detect it.

Electrons thermally ejected from a solid have energy [itex]\frac{3}{2}kT - \phi[/itex] (? check) where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the material's work function. For tungsten that is about 4.5eV (?) But you will be accelerating them through a voltage to get the beam.

There are other electron sources - you can get good effects with a Van der Graaf generator for eg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon Bridge said:
About what? That you need very narrow slits for diffraction or what the deBroglie wavelength of an electron is?

See how other people do it:
http://www.chem.qmul.ac.uk/surfaces/scc/scat6_2.htm
... notice the grating is a crystal? This gives angstrom-spaced slits.

[itex]\lambda_{dB}=h/p[/itex]
... you want low speed electrons, but you also need to accelerate them to your slits in something like a beam. Remember that the angle of diffraction maxima is predicted to be [itex]d\sin\theta = n\lambda_{dB}[/itex] you want [itex]\Delta\theta[/itex] to be big so you can detect it.

Electrons thermally ejected from a solid have energy [itex]\frac{3}{2}kT - \phi[/itex] (? check) where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the material's work function. For tungsten that is about 4.5eV (?) But you will be accelerating them through a voltage to get the beam.

There are other electron sources - you can get good effects with a Van der Graaf generator for eg.

I just didn't know how to find the deBroglie wavelength. I'm going to read all of this and figure it out.

DLHill said:
I'm not entirely sure about that. I am going to try and use a tungsten filament possibly instead of the cathode ray tube. How would i find the wavelength of the electrons if I used a filament?

You need a potential gradient.

The cathode tube that you took the gun out has a grid that has been applied a positive bias. This provides the potential gradient that accelerates the electrons to a particular energy/velocity. If you don't have this, then the electrons that is produced out of the filament will go everywhere, or in a direction that isn't where you want them to go.

The energy/velocity gained by these electrons will give you an estimate of the deBroglie wavelength, which will then tell you the order of the size of the slit.

Zz.

DLHill said:
For my AP Physics course, I am trying to replicate the double slit experiment. My idea is to have a cathode ray tube from an old television set and take the electron gun out. The electron gun will be firing at a plastic or foil sheet with 2 narrow slits side-by-side. Behind the screen, I will have a scintillator to show where the electrons hit.
Thank you

take a two tranperent glass sheets and laser light, make the glass sheet black nontransperent with lamp by spreding smoke on it. take a pin and make one small slit on one glass and two slits on another glass. now place the glass sheets one after other as single slit and double slit. then pass a laser light in it. you can get a interference fringes on the screen.

Welcome to PF madhuvenkat
- perhaps OP explicitly wants to see electron diffraction?

BTW: A trick to make slits low-tech-wise is to use two razor-blades flat to each other. That way you get the slit separation = width of one blade, and they end up parallel.*

If you use a laser - you don't usually need the initial single-slit.
If you don't have a laser, you can put a small light source at the focal point of a bi-convex lens.

----------------------
* Can you even get disposable razor blades any more? Maybe a pair of scalpel blades? I know - you can draw two lines on white ppaer and photograph it - then, then you get the negative ... what do you mean "nobody uses film any more" sheesh!

DLHill said:
Thank you

If you intend to dismantle an old TV tube then you should be aware that the phosphors on the tube face contain some toxic elements (e.g. cadmium). Also, you need to be careful when letting down the vacuum because it is possible to create an uncontrolled implosion and for the flying glass etc. to injure you.
Also, the classic 'double slit' experiment was really based on light waves. The best way to demonstrate electron diffraction is to use a thin carbon target, rather than two slots. Unless you have some fancy manufacturing facility, you will find this difficult. Doing it with light (to prove a point to yourself) would be more fruitful and easy to achieve - at least at first.

sophiecentaur said:
If you intend to dismantle an old TV tube then you should be aware that the phosphors on the tube face contain some toxic elements (e.g. cadmium). Also, you need to be careful when letting down the vacuum because it is possible to create an uncontrolled implosion and for the flying glass etc. to injure you.
Also, the classic 'double slit' experiment was really based on light waves. The best way to demonstrate electron diffraction is to use a thin carbon target, rather than two slots. Unless you have some fancy manufacturing facility, you will find this difficult. Doing it with light (to prove a point to yourself) would be more fruitful and easy to achieve - at least at first.

Thank you for this information. I will probably start with a basic setup using a laser now.

Very sensible of you. It will still be VERY satisfying for you and you can do the sums to connect wavelength, fringe separation etc. much easier with light as you will know the wavelength with more certainty.

1. What is the double slit experiment project?

The double slit experiment project is a fundamental experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and other particles. It involves passing a beam of particles or light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. What were the results of the double slit experiment project?

The results of the double slit experiment project showed that particles behave like waves and can exhibit interference patterns, despite being thought of as solid, discrete objects. This challenged the previously held belief that particles only exhibit particle-like behavior.

3. Who conducted the double slit experiment project?

The double slit experiment was first conducted by Thomas Young in 1801, but it has been repeated and expanded upon by numerous scientists and researchers since then, including Albert Einstein, Richard Feynman, and Erwin Schrödinger.

4. What is the significance of the double slit experiment project?

The double slit experiment project is significant because it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of particles, which is a fundamental concept in quantum physics. It also challenges our understanding of the nature of reality and raises questions about the role of observation in shaping the behavior of particles.

5. How is the double slit experiment project relevant in today's scientific research?

The double slit experiment project continues to be relevant in modern scientific research, as it has inspired further experiments and theories in the field of quantum mechanics. It is also used to illustrate the concepts of superposition and entanglement, which are crucial for technologies such as quantum computing.