1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double slit experiment

1. Dec 3, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

# It is given in my book that if white light is used instead of monochromatic light, the central fringe will be white while there will be coloured fringes on either side of the central fringe. Could anyone please tell me the reason for this? Is it because, due to diffraction at the slits each colour is deviated by different angles? I am not quite sure. Please guide me.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2006 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since you have a book, notice how it explains what causes there to be a "bright fringe." It has to do with the "extra distance" traveled by the light form one of the slits. How much does this extra distance have to be to create a bright fringe? Then, anwser this: different colors of light have different ____________ .
  4. Dec 4, 2006 #3
    Different colours have different wavelengths.As a result their path difference at points of maxima or minima are different.So points of maxima or minima are different for different colours.Is my reasoning right?
  5. Dec 5, 2006 #4
    Please say whether I have understood it correctly.
  6. Dec 6, 2006 #5
    Come on guys!
  7. Dec 6, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds good to me.
  8. Dec 6, 2006 #7
    At last I have got the answer. Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?