1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Slit Experiment

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    A double-slit experiment is set up using a helium-neon laser (lambda =633nm) . Then a very thin piece of glass ( n=1.50 ) is placed over one of the slits. Afterward, the central point on the screen is occupied by what had been the m = 15.0 dark fringe. How thick is the glass?

I really need help on this question. I understand that for the double-slit experiment, destructive interference occurs when d sin theta= (m-0.5)lambda. However, I do not understand how to incorporate the information about the central point being occupied by what had been the m=15.0 dark fringe. Also, how does the piece of glass play a role in the question? Thanks so much for all your help!

<<spam links deleted by staff>>

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2
    You have a virus.

As for how the glass plays a role, instead of just using some formula you will need to understand conceptually how that formula is derived (so that you can derive an appropriately modified version). Recall that the wavelength depends on the refractive index.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?