Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Slit experiment

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    In the double slit experiment is it known if the energy of the "particle" is less after passing the plate?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2
    Do you mean after the wave-function has collapsed due to measurement ? what sort of energy loss are we talking of ?

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3
    I think he's pointing out that in a wave state a particle has some uncertainty in its momentum and thus might go from a "higher to lower energy state" so that when it get's measured it's perceived to have a lower energy state than an energy it could have possibly had, however a particle wouldn't necessarily occupy an exact energy while traveling as a wave, it's energy would be undefined which means what you measure the energy at isn't necessarily decreasing or increasing from wave-measurement, it's merely collapsing to a finite energy.

5. Feb 2, 2012 #4
    To word it differently, I was wondering if passing the plate reduces the energy of the "particle".

For example let's idealize it is an electron that passes the plate. Is it moving slower after passing the plate?

I have no idea how that would be measured, but it looks like it can't be measured.

The question came up when thinking from the electrons perspective that the plate would maybe look like a wave (Doppler).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook