1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Slit experiments

1. Feb 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A double-spit experiment is performed with light of wavelength 600 nm. A wide viewing screen is 2m behind the grating. What is the distance between the two m=2 bright fringes on the screen? The slit separation given is 0.1 mm.

2. Relevant equations
    Given the wavelength and distance I am assuming y = mλL/d makes the most sense for the equation to solve this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I make d=(.1*10^-3)
    Wavelength given=600 nm so I make that (600*10^-9)
    and my distance and screen are both 2 so I enter the equation as:
    y=((2)(2)*(600*10^-9)/(0.1*10^-3)
    = (2.4*10^-2) mm as my solution. It looks weird as an answer though. Did I tackle this problem correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2017 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What are the units for d and all the other numbers you calculated? Why do you say the final answer is in mm?

4. Feb 4, 2017 #3
    d is the distance so its unit would be m and i assumed the final answer would be nm because I would be measuring the final distance in terms of wavelength?

5. Feb 4, 2017 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In this equation, put units next to each number and see what comes out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted