Double Slit Intensity Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of coherent light with a wavelength of 585 nm passing through two narrow slits that are 0.320 mm apart and a screen 0.700 m away. The intensity at the center of the central maximum is I0. The conversation then poses two questions: (a) what is the phase difference at an angle of 23 degrees from the center line, and (b) what is the distance on the screen from the center of the central maximum to the point where the intensity has dropped to I0/2. The equations used are Φ=2π/λ*dθ and I=I_0*cos2Φ/2. The solution for (a) is 439
navm1

Homework Statement

Coherent light with wavelength 585 nm passes through two very narrow slits that are
0.320 mm apart. The screen is 0.700 m away from the slits. The intensity is I0 at the
centre of the central maximum (theta=0)

(a) What is the phase difference (in radians) in the light from the two slits at an angle
of 23degrees from the centre line?

(b) What is the distance on the screen from the centre of the central maximum to the
point where the intensity has dropped to I0/2?

Homework Equations

Φ=2π/λ*dθ
I=I_0*cos2Φ/2

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
(2pi*3.2x10^-4)/(5.85x10^-7)*23pi/180=439pi radians

b) I=I_0cos^2(Φ/2)

cos^2((pi/2)/2)=1/2

So i figured Φ=2pi but the equation i wanted to use to solve is

Φ=(2*pi*d)/(λ)*θ

but i don't have a theta. For part a it was 23 but i figured there will be a completely new angle for this part of the question.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
navm1 said:
but i don't have a theta
Well, you have to calculate it with that formula.
You can get Φ with first equation you have in (b). It is not 2 pi (plug it in and see if the result would be right).

mfb said:
Well, you have to calculate it with that formula.
You can get Φ with first equation you have in (b). It is not 2 pi (plug it in and see if the result would be right).
i meant to put pi sorry.

d is slit separation right? i think i was getting mixed up and thinking it was distance from screen to centre

Looks like slit separation in your formula.

Pi is still wrong. Please stop guessing and calculate the value.

for your help!

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of the double slit experiment and how it relates to the interference of light. The intensity of light at a point on the screen is determined by the superposition of the waves from the two slits. The phase difference between the waves from the two slits is crucial in determining the intensity at a particular point on the screen.

(a) To find the phase difference, we can use the equation Φ=2π/λ*dθ, where λ is the wavelength of light, d is the distance between the slits, and θ is the angle from the center line. Plugging in the given values, we get Φ=2π/5.85x10^-7 * 0.320x10^-3 * 23π/180 = 0.439π radians.

(b) The intensity at a point on the screen is given by I=I_0*cos^2(Φ/2). To find the distance at which the intensity drops to I_0/2, we can set I=I_0/2 and solve for Φ. This gives us Φ=π/2 radians. Plugging this into the equation Φ=2π/λ*dθ and solving for θ, we get θ=λ/2d=5.85x10^-7/(2*0.320x10^-3)=0.915 degrees. This means that the distance on the screen from the center of the central maximum to the point where the intensity drops to I_0/2 is 0.915 degrees.

Overall, the key to solving this problem is understanding the concept of interference and using the appropriate equations to calculate the phase difference and intensity at different points on the screen.

1. What is the double slit intensity problem?

The double slit intensity problem, also known as the double slit experiment, is a famous physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How does the double slit intensity problem support the wave theory of light?

The double slit intensity problem supports the wave theory of light because it shows that light behaves like a wave with properties such as interference and diffraction. The interference pattern on the screen is only possible if light waves are overlapping and interacting with each other.

3. What is the significance of the double slit intensity problem?

The double slit intensity problem is significant because it challenges our understanding of light as either a wave or a particle. It shows that light has properties of both, and its behavior depends on how it is observed. This experiment has led to the development of quantum mechanics and has implications for many other areas of physics.

4. Can the double slit intensity problem be observed with other particles besides light?

Yes, the double slit intensity problem has been observed with other particles such as electrons, atoms, and even large molecules. This further supports the idea of wave-particle duality and shows that it is not limited to just light.

5. What are some real-world applications of the double slit intensity problem?

The double slit intensity problem has many practical applications, including in the development of technology such as electron microscopes, which use the principles of wave-particle duality to create detailed images of small objects. It also has applications in the field of optics and can help us understand phenomena such as diffraction and interference in various systems.