1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double slit interference

1. Feb 26, 2006 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Light of wavelength 600nm passes through two slits separated by .2mm and is observed on a screen 1.0m behind the slits. The location of the central max is marked on the screen and labeled [tex]y_0[/tex]

A) at what distance are the m = 1 bright fringes. I got this part. the answer is .003m or 3mm.

B) A very thin piece of glass is placed over one hole, causing the light in that hole to move slower. The light is delayed by 5.0 X 10^-16s. What fraction of the wave period is this. It is 1/4 of the wave period. I got this as well.

C) The phase difference? The one wave is delayed by 1/4 of a period, so the phase difference is pi/2.

D) Which way does the central max move and how far. I know it moves toward the glass covered hole, but I can't figure out how far. Can anyone help me to figure out how to proceed with this part. Even a small hint will help. Thank you.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted