1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double-slit interference

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I did part A & B and got the right answer. Question C is "Is the separation the same for all maxima?"

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\sin \theta = m\lambda /d[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    In the homework problem, sin theta can be computed with y/D, where is the separation of the maxima, and D is the distance from the slits to the screen. So [tex]\frac{y}{D} = \frac{{m\lambda }}{d}\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,y = \frac{{Dm\lambda }}{d}[/tex].

But in the book's example, they don't use this formula. They use the small-angle approximation, and state in the example: "This result is valid near the center of the screen, where the small-angle approximation is valid." This is consistent with the answer in the back of the book.

But without using the small-angle approximation, I get a separation of 1.2 mm between the m=1 and m=2 fringes. But I also get a separation of 1.2 mm between the m=1,000,000 and m=1,000,001 fringes, where theta would be huge.

So why is the book concluding that this is only valid for small angles?

** Edit, Tex is seriously malfunctioning. In the preview window, it's as if it mixed up my tex with somewone else's work, I was seeing stuff about kinetic energy and electron Volts. And in the final window, it calls it invalid.

To sum up my question without Tex:

y = Dm lambda / d

(2*2*600e-9/1e-3) - (2*1*600e-9/1e-3) = 0.0012

and

(2*1000001*600e-9/1e-3) - (2*1000000*600e-9/1e-3) = 0.0012

Without using the small angle approximation,
    When I choose 1 & 2 for m, I get 0.0012
    When I choose 1000000 & 1000001 for m, I get 0.0012

So why does the book say the maxima separation are only constant near the center of the screen?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi tony873004,

I don't believe these calculations are valid; you are using the formula that assumes the small angle approximation, but the angles associated with large m values are not small. (In fact, there is no line for m=1000000.)

To test these, go back to the original formulas:

[tex]
    d \sin(\theta) = m \lambda
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \tan(\theta) = y / L
    [/tex]

Then test these for various values of m and m+1 by plugging in an m value in the first equation to find theta, and using that in the second equation to find y.

For m=1000 and 1001, I'm finding the change in the y is about 0.002m; for 1600 and 1601 the change is about 0.06m, and for 1665 and 1666 the change is about 26m.

(m=1666 is the highest value of m that is allowed; any higher would require the sine function to be greater than 1.)

(I'm assuming that lambda is 600nm, slit distance d is 1mm, and distance to screen L is 2m.)

4. Oct 22, 2008 #3

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks!

I think I see my error. Sin does not equal y/D. Tan = y/D, but for small angles, sin=tan, so you're right, by considering y/D = sin, I am using the small angle apprx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?