1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double-Slit Interference

1. Apr 17, 2005 #1
    Two slits are separated by 0.180 mm. An interference pattern is formed on a screen 80.0 cm away by 656.3-nm light. Calculate the fraction of the maximum intensity 0.600 cm above the central maximum

I was using the equation I=Imaxcos^2(pie(d)sintheta/wavelength and I don't seem to be getting anywhere is there another equation because this one doesn't seem right and it's the only one in the chapter.....
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2005 #2
    You are indeed using the right equation. But you are probably getting stuck trying to find [itex]\theta[/itex]. The intensity as a function of the phase [itex]\Delta\phi[/itex] is:

[tex]I = I_{max}\cos^2\frac{\Delta\phi}{2}[/itex]

Now, [itex]\Delta\phi = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda}\Delta x[/itex]

This should see you through...you don't need to compute [itex]\theta[/itex] if you observe that

[itex]d\sin\theta[/itex] = Path difference = [itex]\Delta x[/itex]

4. Apr 18, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks like the correct equation except that you do not have a closing parenthesis. Make sure you have the units right. You have mm, cm, and nm in the problem. Are you making the necessary conversions?
  5. Apr 18, 2005 #4
    OOps..I didn't see you have the y-coordinate of the fringe as well...in that case, for small theta,

[itex]\sin\theta = \frac{y}{D}[/itex] and that should do it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?