Double slit interference

• Thread starter youmei0426
  • Start date

Homework Statement

question (iii)
upload_2018-12-28_11-31-1.png

2. Homework Equations
D=sd/λ (where D is the distance from slit to screen, s is the distance to the central maxima, and d is the slit separation)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged the values s=0.3*10^(-3), d=4.5*10^(-3) and λ=633*10^(-9), and got the answer 2.13m. However, the answer stays that I need to multiply this value by 2, and I don't know why as the formula doesn't say so. Thanks in advance![/B]

Attachments

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Hello youmei, :welcome:

I don't know why as the formula doesn't say so
What exactly is the formula saying (what is it for ? ) And what does the exercise ask ?

PKM
The formula ##\beta=\frac{\lambda D}{d}## denotes the distance of seperation between two adjacent maxima (or minima). But you are given the distance between a maximum & the adjacent minimum.
Can you figure it now?

Likes youmei0426
The formula ##\beta=\frac{\lambda D}{d}## denotes the distance of seperation between two adjacent maxima (or minima). But you are given the distance between a maximum & the adjacent minimum.
Can you figure it now?
thanks a lot!!!

Can you figure it now?
I came across another similar problem regarding diffraction grating, and there the diffraction angle is from the normal to the first maximum. So I am a bit confused as to what exactly is the angle in the formula? Thanks!

PKM
I came across another similar problem regarding diffraction grating, and there the diffraction angle is from the normal to the first maximum. So I am a bit confused as to what exactly is the angle in the formula? Thanks!
The central maximum resides at the normal (or at the centre). Where should the first maximum occur then? Can you somehow approximately relate this distance to the angle you need?

Last edited: