1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Slit Problem Help

1. Aug 9, 2006 #1
    In a Young's double-slit experiment, the seventh dark fringe is located 0.023 m to the side of the central bright finge on a flat screen, which is 1.1 m away from the slits. The separation between the slits is 1.5 10-4 m. What is the wavelength of the light being used?

I'm having some trouble understanding what exactly the equation is saying. I know I have to use sin theta = mlambda/d for the bright fringe and then sin theta = (m+1/2)lambda/d for the dark..but I'm not sure how to get theta..I figure I need to use the two initial values that I'm given but I'm not sure what those values exactly mean..any help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\lambda = \frac{d\sin\theta}{(m+1/2)}[/tex] where [itex]\sin\theta = .023/1.1[/itex].

4. Aug 10, 2006 #3
    draw yourself a triangle and note that [tex] sin \theta = \frac {d_{minumum-central finge}} {d_{slit-screen}}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?