Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Double Slit Problem Help

1. Aug 9, 2006 #1
    In a Young's double-slit experiment, the seventh dark fringe is located 0.023 m to the side of the central bright finge on a flat screen, which is 1.1 m away from the slits. The separation between the slits is 1.5 10-4 m. What is the wavelength of the light being used?
    m

I'm having some trouble understanding what exactly the equation is saying. I know I have to use sin theta = mlambda/d for the bright fringe and then sin theta = (m+1/2)lambda/d for the dark..but I'm not sure how to get theta..I figure I need to use the two initial values that I'm given but I'm not sure what those values exactly mean..any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use:
    [tex]\lambda = \frac{d\sin\theta}{(m+1/2)}[/tex] where [itex]\sin\theta = .023/1.1[/itex].

AM

4. Aug 10, 2006 #3
    draw yourself a triangle and note that [tex] sin \theta = \frac {d_{minumum-central finge}} {d_{slit-screen}}[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook