1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double slit Problem

1. Sep 23, 2008 #1
    Two lasers are shining on a double slit, with slit separation . Laser 1 has a wavelength of , whereas laser 2 has a wavelength of . The lasers produce separate interference patterns on a screen a distance 5.80 away from the slits.

Part A
    Which laser has its first maximum closer to the central maximum?

Part B
    What is the distance between the first maxima (on the same side of the central maximum) of the two patterns?
    Express your answer in meters.

Part C
    What is the distance between the second maximum of laser 1 and the third minimum of laser 2, on the same side of the central maximum?
    Express your answer in meters.

Not sure where to start .......

currently working with wavelength = (Y*D)/(mR)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2
    Have you tried to use LaTeX or something there? You appear to be missing your wavelengths.

4. Jan 30, 2011 #3
    if you are using the text book: "physics for scientists and engineers" second edition by KNIGHT, you should check out page 675 there are two formulas that is help for. I will list them below in case you are using another texbook.
    First one: y_m(y subscrip m) = [m*(lambda)*L]/d where m can be interger.-> position of bright fringes (maximum
    second one: y'_m(y' sbscrop m) = [(m+1/2)*(lambda)*L]/d where m can be interger.-> position of dark fringes (minimum)

To help you approach the question, you should compare the change in y by formula one list above. where for laser one, lambda = d/20 ,and laser two, lambda = d/15.
    just plug the number in and calculate, the one with lower is closer to central maximum.
    (use 1 for m for both, since 0 is central maximum)

part B: use the calculation above to help you solve this one out, subtract both.(watch the signs, keep it positive)

Part C: similar like Part A calculation, where you should be careful with the "m" you use.
    For maximum count from 1 because 0 is central max, thus second maximum of l aser 1 use m=2. For minimum count from 0, since there is actully no central min. so the third minimum of laser 2 is still m=2. and then just plug in the number and calculate. keep the result positive.

If you have any further question just take a look of the text book, or you can post it and i will tried to answer.

If there is anything incorrect people find from my message please that me know..thanks

5. Jan 30, 2011 #4
    i think it's the question from mastering physics..but i could be wrong.. the wavelengths for laser 1 is d/20 and laser 2 is d/15..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?