1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double slit question

1. Feb 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A grating with 349 lines/mm is illuminated with light of wavelength 412 nm What is the angular separation between the two lines formed in order m=2?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = m[tex]\lambda[/tex]/d

3. The attempt at a solution

I did not know how to use this equation successfully since I did not have d. I do not know what the 349 lines/mm has to do with anything, so that is obviously what I'm missing. Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2010 #2
    This is not a "double slit" question, it is a diffraction grating question, for which there is an appropriate equation. (Not the one you give)
    d is the separation between the lines in the grating and is calculated from the number of lines per mm that is given by a simple inverse relationship.

4. Feb 11, 2010 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's okay, in diffraction problems the same equation is used for a diffraction grating and the double slit . (You can click on the terms "diffraction grating" and "double slit", in that previous sentence, for more info.)

There are 349 line spacings in 1 mm. Therefore, the distance between 2 adjacent lines is ___?

5. Feb 11, 2010 #4
    1/349! So that is equal to d? I worked the problem out for [tex]\vartheta[/tex] and I'm getting like .28, the multiple choice answers are 26, 40, and 33[tex]^{o}[/tex]...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook