Double slit with a laser

• Thread starter zepp0814
  • Start date
Hi forums I really want to do some experiments with lasers and i was wondering if for the double slit experiment a 100mw green laser is so powerful and bright. also there is a 30mw laser, would that be better. another thing is that i wanted to make a laser "microscope" but i was worried that a 100mw was too bright, should i worry about that.

*that 100mw has an adjustable focus

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
You don't need anything so powerful and dangerous. A cheap laser pointer works fine.

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I agree with Vanadium- both the 100 mW and 30mW lasers are class III devices, and unless you understand how to deal with those hazards, you should not be using them. The maximum eye-safe power for a visible laser is 1 mW (0.39 uW for continuous exposure without the blink reflex).

f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
both the 100 mW and 30mW lasers are class III devices, and unless you understand how to deal with those hazards,

Not only that. Where I work lasers as powerful as >30 mW (well, anything class III or above) can only be used in designated areas equiped with interlocks and other safety equipment, and these areas can only be accessed by trained personel.

The point is: DONT USE LASERS LIKE THAT! They are extremely dangerous, and even a refected beam could make you blind for life.