I'm only a first year psychology student, so I appologize for my lack of understanding. But looking at the double slit expirament described in Feynmans book QED, for example, where two slits seperate a photon emitter and detector, where the seperation distance of the slits determines how many photons reach the detector. So lets say that 8% of the emitted photons are getting through to the detector. I suppose that we can assume that the other 92% are ending up elsewhere, hitting the boundry or something. Im also guessing that a wall could be interpretted as a detector, that when we say the particle must be observed that simply means that it must interact with something. So if you change the distance between the slits so that only 4% are getting through to the detector, this means that the percent of photons ending up elsewhere increases. So if we place a second detector close by the emitter why woulndt we be able to send signals faster than light (by recording the change in photon rate)?