Double Slit

Main Question or Discussion Point

hey everybody, I am doing a physics project on the double slit experiment. (I know all the physics and math behind it so don't get into that stuff :P) I was just wondering if people had any suggestions on how to conduct the experiment, I was thinking of cutting two extremely small (knife blade) slits into a tinfoil (or something else of similar make up) plate (about 1mm apart) and shining a light directly at the plate, thus creating the famous interference pattern. I am also wondering if I need coherent light or not?

So, suggestions on how to conduct, and the light question.

Answers and Replies

I am pretty sure that is has to be coherent for best resuts, more like a laser-ish thing/light cannon.

Here is how it should look like in theory:

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/schroedinger/two-slit2.html [Broken]

Post some pictures of it when you do it! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of a laser would I need for this to fully work? Like, a $5 laser from a dollar store or something that is quite large? I'm assuming that I need to engulf the two slits entirely.

http://www.wikihow.com/Perform-Young's-Double-Slit-Experiment

This one is rather complicated, but it mentions a diode laser
Which is also know as semi-conductor laser.

Which, I think, is a 99cents laser

So you shouldn't have any problem with that

Ok, thanks for your replies. I'm gonna have to do some experimenting with the lasers and stuff but it should work out ok. I will post some pictures if everything goes ok.

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
The coherence area of the beam needs to be larger than the illuminated area- a raw diode laser beam will not work.

Focusing the laser (or any light source, really) onto a pinhole,collecting the transmitted light and illuminating your slits, OTOH, will work nicely.

Ahhhh, ok. That would work a bit better than trying to fashion something out of of a bunch of laser diodes.