Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Slit

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    hey everybody, I am doing a physics project on the double slit experiment. (I know all the physics and math behind it so don't get into that stuff :P) I was just wondering if people had any suggestions on how to conduct the experiment, I was thinking of cutting two extremely small (knife blade) slits into a tinfoil (or something else of similar make up) plate (about 1mm apart) and shining a light directly at the plate, thus creating the famous interference pattern. I am also wondering if I need coherent light or not?

So, suggestions on how to conduct, and the light question.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2
  4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
    What kind of a laser would I need for this to fully work? Like, a $5 laser from a dollar store or something that is quite large? I'm assuming that I need to engulf the two slits entirely.

5. Apr 21, 2008 #4
    http://www.wikihow.com/Perform-Young's-Double-Slit-Experiment

This one is rather complicated, but it mentions a diode laser
    Which is also know as semi-conductor laser.

Which, I think, is a 99cents laser

So you shouldn't have any problem with that

6. Apr 21, 2008 #5
    Ok, thanks for your replies. I'm gonna have to do some experimenting with the lasers and stuff but it should work out ok. I will post some pictures if everything goes ok.

7. Apr 22, 2008 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The coherence area of the beam needs to be larger than the illuminated area- a raw diode laser beam will not work.

Focusing the laser (or any light source, really) onto a pinhole,collecting the transmitted light and illuminating your slits, OTOH, will work nicely.

8. Apr 22, 2008 #7
    Ahhhh, ok. That would work a bit better than trying to fashion something out of of a bunch of laser diodes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?