Examining the Accuracy of a Movie Scene

In summary: This is from a stupid movie, lots of new age nonsense etc. However, please disregard that and judge this segment on its own merits. Is it accurate? I am not being sarcastic or have a hidden agenda. I just want to know!Yes, the information presented is accurate. The graphics could use improvement, but the concept is explained well.
wittgenstein

This is from a stupid movie, lots of new age nonsense etc. However, please disregard that and judge this segment on its own merits. Is it accurate? I am not being sarcastic or have a hidden agenda. I just want to know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it is a correct exposition of the quantum mechanical explanation of the double slit experiment. It is probably possible to do some nitpicking on some of the terminology and graphics, but essentially it is correct.

It's pretty good.
IMO Any nitpicking would be completely unjustified.

It's not wrong.
But we don't really have the words to adequately discuss the concepts he's describing.

It's as if Ghengis Khan were explaining to his hordes about electricity. What words could he use that would make sense to him and his audience? Even if he somehow vaguely understood it himself, would he have the words available in his language to form even a crude explanation?

wittgenstein said:

This is from a stupid movie, lots of new age nonsense etc. However, please disregard that and judge this segment on its own merits. Is it accurate? I am not being sarcastic or have a hidden agenda. I just want to know!

The segment is great - very understandable. It presents the concept in a way that can be readily understood by most. There are also many other similar clips on that site.

Thanks for posting it.

These clips would be very handy to have. How does one save a UTube clip ? Is it possible ? Anybody know ?

Last edited by a moderator:
alt said:
These clips would be very handy to have. How does one save a UTube clip ? Is it possible ? Anybody know ?
Presuming you're already using firefox, just browse the popular add-ons. (Of course it's possible: they can't show you the video without transmitting a copy of the data to the machine which, as it still happens, you control.)

You're worried whether you could ever find particular videos again (say, if google were to receive a take down request)?

cesiumfrog said:
Presuming you're already using firefox, just browse the popular add-ons. (Of course it's possible: they can't show you the video without transmitting a copy of the data to the machine which, as it still happens, you control.)

You're worried whether you could ever find particular videos again (say, if google were to receive a take down request)?

I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but;

No, I'm using the latest Internet Explorer. I'm actually starting to hate it, and should probably find an alternative. I tried FF a couple of years ago, but it left me not impressed. Is it better these days ?

I want to save the clips not because they might be taken down, but because I would like to view them / show them off line.

AJ Bentley said:
It's as if Ghengis Khan were explaining to his hordes about electricity. What words could he use that would make sense to him and his audience? Even if he somehow vaguely understood it himself, would he have the words available in his language to form even a crude explanation?
Something about devising precise and intricate runes out of bronze and blood, through which tiny bits of lightning circulate, casting magical light or crudely animating inanimate carts or golems..?

1. What methods can be used to examine the accuracy of a movie scene?

There are several methods that can be used to examine the accuracy of a movie scene. These include fact-checking with historical records or expert sources, comparing the scene to real-life events, and conducting research on the topic portrayed in the scene.

2. How do filmmakers ensure accuracy in their movie scenes?

Filmmakers can ensure accuracy in their movie scenes by conducting thorough research on the topic, consulting with experts in the field, and fact-checking their sources. They may also hire consultants or advisors to provide guidance and feedback on the accuracy of the scene.

3. How important is accuracy in movie scenes?

The importance of accuracy in movie scenes can vary depending on the genre and subject matter of the film. In historical or biographical films, accuracy is crucial in order to portray events and individuals accurately. In other genres, such as science fiction or fantasy, accuracy may be less important as long as the story is engaging and believable.

4. Can a movie scene be completely accurate?

While filmmakers strive for accuracy, it is nearly impossible for a movie scene to be completely accurate. Some creative liberties may need to be taken in order to condense information or make the scene more entertaining. However, filmmakers should strive to maintain as much accuracy as possible while still telling a compelling story.

5. How can examining the accuracy of movie scenes benefit viewers?

Examining the accuracy of movie scenes can benefit viewers by providing them with a deeper understanding of the subject matter and events portrayed in the film. It can also help viewers separate fact from fiction and encourage critical thinking. Additionally, examining accuracy can lead to more informed and meaningful discussions about the film and its impact.