Exploring Quantum Mechanics and Length Contraction

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of observing diffraction in a double slit setup while moving at significant speed. The question is whether the diffraction pattern would still be visible or if the wave function would change to correct for the speed. One person suggests that there will always be some level of diffraction, regardless of the size of the slits. Another person suggests considering the scenario where the electron beam is moving and the slits are fixed, and questions whether there would be any difference in the diffraction pattern. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of QFT to analyze the situation.
cragar
What if I had a double slit setup and I was shooting electrons through them. But in the rest frame the slits were to big to bring out the diffraction effect. But then suppose I move by the 2 slits at significant speed to length contract the slits to where diffraction would be eminent.
Would i see diffraction or does the wave function change with speed to correct this. I don't know much about QM or QFT. Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will always have some diffraction pattern, irrespective of the size of the slits.

Last edited:
I am not positive about the answer, and I like the question, but why not suppose the electron beam were moving similarly instead...and the slits fixed...would there be any difference between the two scenarios?? Seems like either would cause increased diffraction.

[Why is Chris Crhistie's picture on my website screen as I type this?? I like him, but I thought this was a "non politics zone".]

@ naty1 : your saying have the electron beam move and have the slits fixed. And that would also be the same as standing by the electron beam and see the slits moving by.
you i think those are the same. I was talking to someone at my school and he said that i would need to use QFT to analyze it and it would be tricky.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is based on the principles of quantum theory, which describes the behavior of particles as both waves and particles, and introduces the idea of uncertainty in measurements at the quantum level.

2. How does quantum mechanics relate to length contraction?

Quantum mechanics does not directly relate to length contraction, which is a concept in the theory of relativity. However, quantum mechanics does provide a more accurate understanding of the behavior of particles at high speeds, which is necessary for understanding length contraction in the theory of relativity.

3. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in the theory of relativity where an object moving at high speeds appears to be shorter in the direction of motion when observed by an outside observer. This is due to the effects of time dilation, where time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds.

4. How is length contraction calculated?

Length contraction can be calculated using the formula L = L0 / √(1 - v2/c2), where L is the length of an object as measured by an outside observer, L0 is the length of the object at rest, v is the velocity of the object, and c is the speed of light.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding quantum mechanics and length contraction?

Understanding quantum mechanics and length contraction has many practical applications, such as in the development of advanced technologies such as GPS systems and particle accelerators. It also helps us to better understand the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales, which has implications for fields such as chemistry and material science.