Double Star characteristic frequencies of light

In summary, an astronomer can identify a double star by analyzing the characteristic frequencies of light from its member stars, but further research and resources may be needed for a more thorough understanding.
mmfoley
How can an astronomer recognize a double star from the characteristic frequencies of the light that reaches him from its member stars? I have looked and looked in my textbook but I cannot come up with the answer to this one.

Thank you!
mmfoley

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Originally posted by mmfoley
How can an astronomer recognize a double star from the characteristic frequencies of the light that reaches him from its member stars? I have looked and looked in my textbook but I cannot come up with the answer to this one.

Thank you!
mmfoley
There is a good start here with links back to the index on the whole course:

http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/astro101/lec16.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks

Thank you, I'll be sure to check this out!

1. What are double star characteristic frequencies of light?

Double star characteristic frequencies of light refer to the specific wavelengths of light that are emitted or absorbed by a double star system. These frequencies are unique to each double star and are determined by the composition and properties of the stars involved.

2. How are double star characteristic frequencies of light measured?

Double star characteristic frequencies of light are measured through spectroscopy, which involves splitting the light emitted by the stars into its component wavelengths. By analyzing the resulting spectrum, scientists can identify the characteristic frequencies of the double star system.

3. Why are double star characteristic frequencies of light important?

Double star characteristic frequencies of light provide valuable information about the composition and behavior of double star systems. They can also be used to determine the distance between the stars and their relative motion, which can help scientists understand the dynamics of the system.

4. Can double star characteristic frequencies of light change over time?

Yes, double star characteristic frequencies of light can change over time. This can happen due to a variety of factors, such as changes in the stars' composition, activity, or distance from each other. These changes can be observed through spectroscopic measurements.

5. How do double star characteristic frequencies of light affect the appearance of double stars?

The characteristic frequencies of light emitted by double stars can affect their appearance to an observer. For example, if one star is hotter than the other, it may emit more light at certain frequencies, making it appear brighter or bluer compared to the other star. This can also cause the double star to have a distinct color, such as orange or blue.